Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Places I love - Ogunquit, Maine

Every once in a while, I would like to share special places that I love with you.  I do not travel as much as I would like to - two children (one of whom is in university), a job that only affords a certain number of weeks every year, and my J Crew habit make that difficult.

But there is a little town that is about 7 hours from here that is divine - Ogunquit, Maine. 




This is the original preppy playground and there are three typical categories of visitors to Ogunquit:

1) The Happy Family



The beach is sandy, the water divine.  We are not beach people, but we do venture here now and again.  I once laid on this beach one spectacular summer day and the loudspeaker said: "Today is July 31st.  We hope you brought your sunscreen and a good book.  It is going to be a scorcher. But remember this day in December, when you are up to your armpits in snow.  You will be glad you were here and you will remember this day!"  And you know what - they were right.

2) The well-off senior

This is a safe little town and most of it can be walked.  I marvel at the fit, good-looking seniors who flock here and spend their money on gifts for the grandchildren, and good meals..

3) the well-appointed tastemakers

Ogunquit has taste.  It is preppy and many of the nearby shops sell exquistive items for the home and cottage.  There are many good restaurants.  The gardens are lush.  You will run into many same sex couples, all of them fit and good-looking and driving sports cars.  You will be jealous, because you know they have left behind a home that is as exquisitely appointed as they are...

Where do they all intersect?  Three Spots:

THE OGUNQUIT PLAYHOUSE (my personal favourite!)


Ogunquit Playhouse

Here you will see TV stars of yesteryear perform in summerstock.  It is great fun and you arrive early and have a glass of champagne before the show starts.  Best to stay within walking distance, which is lovely on a beautiful summer night...

Last year we saw Peter Scolari in The Music Man.

Peter Scolari as the Music Man at the Ogunquit Playhouse


Was it kitschy?  Sure.  But he sang and acted his heart out, as did the rest of the cast and it was grand fun!  Sally Struthers appears every year now, and really, isn't that enough of a siren call?


FINE DINING

98 Provence




Wonderful french cuisine in a cute cottage right near the beach..  They also serve amazing breakfasts...

Angelina's Ristorante

angelinas-001b

I once had a ragu here that made me weep.

Amore Breakfast

Amore Breakfast: New Location, Same Great Food! Photo 1


















Belgian Waffles to die for


And my favourite spot in Ogunquit, which you can walk to along the shore to on the most divine path called the Marginal Way:

PERKINS COVE







File:Perkins Cove 2.JPG

You will shop here, eat here, oggle the sea here.  And you will be awfully happy.  And if you are still hungry afterwards, walk back to Ogunquit and buy some chocolates here.  You will be happy you did!

I will not get to Ogunquit this summer.  But I will dream of it and hope that you find your way there!


9 comments:

  1. I know that town! When I lived in Maine I would get city sick and yearn to people watch so I demanded of my then beau that we go to Montreal every 5 weeks - it felt so like Europe there and all the women were dressed up and so stylish. Maine was beautiful but I was only 21 and too young to be living out in the country feeling isolated, now I would do so much better in that environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you live in Maine?

    I hear you - when I was 22 and newly married (!) we lived in a retirement community on Vancouver Island as my husband was posted there. It was awful! I was used to going clubbing and going all kinds of places at the time and I felt like I was dropped off the face of the earth - I am sure I would love it now! Well maybe for a week or two....I do like a city visit now and then...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had been used to clubbing as well, I thought I was going to fade away, I eventually got the ex to move to Portland but he was miserable there.

      Delete
  3. I want to go there! It looks gorgeous!
    I've only ever driven through Maine but I need a seaside holiday in that place. It's time to start planning next summer otherwise MrBP gets completely booked and we can't go anywhere, then I start chewing my arm off!
    We leave for the Finger Lakes (NY) this Sunday. I can't wait.
    Thanks for sharing your holiday spot with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love it - it is very Dani - so many lovely nooks and crannies and good taste!

      Delete
  4. First of all I didn't know you started a blog. This is great news!!!! I will be off to read all your previous posts!

    Second, I love everything about Ogunquit. I've only been to Maine once but we had great time, it was years ago. We are two weeks away from my vacation and because of some complications and my husband interviewing for the new job we still are not sure where we are going. Maybe I will check Ogunquit out, thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AJC - it is really lovely. I did not name all of our favourite restaurants - there are too many! And Carson Kressley is appearing this summer - how awesome is that!

      Delete
  5. Nice write up about Ogunquit, yes you will run into same sex couples. It's one of the things that makes Ogunquit special!
    www.gayOgunquit.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gorio - agree completely! But then, I am Canadian and we do fully support our same sex couples!

      Delete

Kindness is a virtue...