Monday, October 15, 2012

Collection Cheetah Brocade Pencil Skirt Review


Back in August, J Crew released this skirt and I liked it very much, but not so much that I wanted to spend $400 for it (thinking of taxes and CDN $)



Of course, I wasn't sure what this looked like in real life as I suffer from MMAJCPAM Syndrome, which is "My Monitor, and J Crew's pictures, are misleading".  But then it went on sale.  And then it went on 30% off that.  But Lordy-lord, it was final sale.  Would I be successful?  Should I take the chance?

Oh, those of you who have known me for awhile know that I am prone to such excesses of error and this was no different.  I hit "submit my order" and prayed.  I probably lit a couple of candles as well.  It was all very touching.

And then Gigi, glorious Gigi, had a review of the Cheetah.  Read it here.  And Gigi was a little lukewarm.  And I was sore afraid as I waited for mine to come - I ain't going to lie to you, it wasn't pretty, wondering if I would be a sideways thumb as well. 


It arrived, I laid it out on the bed, and it was SHINY.  AND GOLD-Y.

Ah - but you know me.  I am not afraid of shiny and gold-y.  Nope. I embrace shiny and gold-y!



There are little golden threads worked through which gives it even more texture. And makes it GOLD!

As I mentioned yesterday - it would be easy to take this to a whole Snooki level.

But not I.  No - I thought "What would Dani wear if someone gave her a shiny, gold-y skirt that she couldn't send back?"

And I think I know what she would wear:



Yup - black cashmere tshirt, black tights and black sparkly shoes.  Well I don't know for certain if she would have paired it with sparkly shoes, but I did!

Since this was a quick try on before I went out Saturday night, I did not add any jewellry, but I am confident that I would add very little jewellry to this look - the skirt does all the work, you must simply be charming and prepared to say things like "Yes, I WOULD like more foie gras" or "I can't recall if that was the year we wintered in Gstaad or Geneva".  You must always drink champagne when wearing this skirt.  it is my new rule and I plan to go keep to it religiously!

The shoes are a revelation.  I vowed that this would be the year I would buy COMFORTABLE cocktail shoes.  Shoes I could stand and talk in, shoes I could walk across the room in.  And these are they:  Donald J. Pliner sparkle mary janes, made in the mountains of Italy, by small italian people who have waited their whole lives to make a shoe that a woman could wear pain-free to a cocktail party!




Aren't they pretty?   And they have just the right amount of sparkle:






You can find yours here and probably lots of other spots as well.  Mr. Pliner says he has spent his life trying to create comfortable shoes for women.  I own many of them, and i can tell you that he has rarely been successful!  But Donald, Baby, YOU DID IT!   I think he should stop right now.  He is done!  And I have found out that this shoe is available in BRONZE!!!  And none of the damn sites (donald j. pliner or zappos) ship to Canada!  Ah the agony!

SO yes, I like the cheetah skirt.  I am happy to keep it.  I may also wear it with a white blouse from time to time (which would allow me to go with my gold shoes if I went with my hue natural-coloured fishnets or with a black cashmere turtleneck.  But it looks NOTHING like the picture on the website.  And that is not right folks, not right at all.  This may be a post that I send to Mickey!

Would I recommend you buy this skirt, since we all know it is going to pop back for many months and you will get your chance to get it at 30% off as well.

Hmm..  Yes, if you read my blog and think "Oh - I love it when WMM wears those loud pants - she is just so awesome in those things!".  No, if you read my blog and think "OH GOD!  How did WMM get caught in a drive-by spraying of glitter?"

You know which camp you are in and that tells you all you need to know about this skirt!
Have an awesome Monday and stay safe out there!  I am still managing to find things to say!















38 comments:

  1. Wow, that is GOLD, can you imagine it with a sequined top as JC has shown? You know and I know which camp I'm in. I'm planning to wear mine with a white shirt, pearls and nude heels. I see the champagne and nods to winter homes with it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Tiffany Rose! Nude heels woudl be lovely! It is a lot of fun, and I am not sad I picked it up at 60% off. But it was NOTHING Like I expected, except that there was a cheetah print on it. I really am going to send Mickey the link to this blog post so he can understand. I trust the Mickster to get this!

      Delete
  2. I love the skirt with all black,but you could also try a white blouse and a denim jacket with it to casualize it(a la jenna lyons).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try that Ina. I don't do the Jenna look very naturally. But I may give it a shot, as I know it works very well for my loud pants!

      Delete
  3. I like it on you, not Snooki at all! I'll bet you think of other ways to wear it once you've had it for a while, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right Cate - is easy to go to the basics!

      Delete
  4. MMAJCPAM & What Would DBP Do, purposely didn't touch my coffee until I had read all the way through. From my stunted viewpoint, comfortable cocktail shoes the biggest coup, yours beaut. (Have looked at Pilner but my first pair of Chies arrived Friday so starting re-fit there.) Have an excellent week. Know that if Snooki had one classy bone in her bod she would envy you. And when you email Weird Leader, please include site shot along with IRL. He just might be blinded by the comparative light? Well, we gals can hope. I am more afraid he'll think "hah, so .99 does keep them in line."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GF - you are probably right about Mickey - i will try!

      Delete
  5. Holy LOL WMM! Thanks for the kind mention, I love it with the black and your gorgeous new shoes. Now I want that skirt! Especially if I get to abide by your rule of drinking champagne while wearing it, sign me up!
    This is just the sort of party piece I naturally gravitate to, so sparkly and fun. Hope your Monday goes well Darling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dani! I actually just got the t and love it! I was planning to order the black cashmere cardi, but this am, sweaters went on 25% off and with my 20% off coupon, picked it up for $130 and the poppy cashmere t foR $w00 - very happy as they are basics!

      Delete
  6. It is so different from the photo online, it looks like another skirt altogether, mind you Net A Porter have the dress and they haven't done much better with it either. It's a bit too shiny for my tastes but I love what you've pared it with, and again 'a cashmere t shirt - something I didn't know I needed until now."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dani made me get it - she looks so fab in hers! I love it so much i ordered it in poppy this Am with sweater sale!

      Delete
  7. I wore Pliner shoes for years, their outlet used to be part of my annual trip to Woodbury Commons. They stopped making my all-time favorite shoe, which was a calf wedge distinguished by a small BUT FUNCTIONAL zipper up the front. Fortunately this was one of the items I bought in multiples, at the outlets you can do that if you're lucky, so I still have some. They were the best walking shoes ever. I think they closed the outlet, but you should hunt for the shoes.

    I am starting to get a little bit grumpy, you have developed a talent for showcasing things that look fabulous on you and would look just the opposite on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AH Fred! What do you want me to take a picture of me wearing! I could showcase some things which make me look so dreadful that you would cry (I sometimes do!) Plus, you folks helped weed out a bunch of the dregs - but there are a few items of questionable taste left...

      Delete
  8. I love how you wearing the skirt but I like your writing even more. You are so funny, thank you for the laugh!
    The skirt works with all black or white, also I thing with right shade of camel/beige with nude pumps, sort of monochrome look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AJC! Thanks! and if you EVER see the right beige that would work on me, I would send you flowers!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
    2. AJC - what about the heather flax cashmere t?

      Delete
  9. WMM - I think GetFresh is right; no hot beverages whilst reading your blog!!!

    I would love to see this blouse with a white blouse sometime.

    Enjoy the rest of your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh all right. I am a peacock! I will try it with the nude pumps, pearls and white blouse this weekend and take a picture, just because I love you all and you still came back even after you discovered my hidden lust for the VP!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. SIDESPITTINGLY FUNNY Patricia, another with coffee and blogs as a.m. ritual. From experience, if I sipped while scrolling WMM and Tabitha's posts, my laptop would short-ly die. Or I'd have to buy stock in whoever makes Bounty towels.

      Delete
  11. This has to be one of the worst cases of MMAJCPAM Syndrome I have seen in all my years of online shopping at J.Crew! Luckily, this time it did work out in your favor, despite the fact the color is so very different. I do think the skirt looks very lovely on you WMM, and will be perfect for the times you want to wear a statement piece to a party (or for just sipping champagne at home).

    The Sparkle Mary Janes are beautiful, and I just adore the pointed toe on them. What an added bonus that they are actually comfortable too...who would have imagined?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Btw, did you get the Kate Spade email today featuring your Knock on Wood car clutch?

      Delete
    2. Thanks FFM!

      And yes, Kate is wooing me with her "come hither" emails! Damn you, Kate!!!

      Delete
  12. Hi WMM,

    I love the skirt on you! I got the dress myself and cannot wait to debut it over the holiday.

    Siri.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Siri - I bet you will look awesome in it! It is definitely a party look!

      Delete
  13. So funny. I love your outfit. The black cashmere is spot on. I completely relate to your quest for a comfortable evening shoe. I think you found it- and I LOVE bronze! Glad the skirt worked out. Although I suppose any thing with a description that includes cheetah and lurex in the same sentence is bound to be a whim, not staple purchase...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! As for a whim, not a staple, depends on your occupation! When I become an internationl socialite or a Housewife of New Brunswick, Canada - I am ready!

      Delete
  14. This skirt is you... always bright and dazzling in a good way. Great with the black sweater . I had a metallic jacket from Crew a few years ago in gold and green and unfortunately I wore jewelry and shred it .I still can't believe that the picture is the same skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - even Mickey thought the same thing! I think I know the jacket you are talking about! The first time i wore my new floral skirt I caught it with a necklace and pulled a thread - AARRGGHH!

      Delete
  15. Yay! A final sale success! I think the skirt is lovely but the shoes are TO DIE FOR. Love. Drool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I am going to find a way to get the bronze as well - they are so comfy!

      Delete
  16. I got it too and have no regrets! Love it, love, love it. i want the dress too. I am wearing mine with caramel cashmere sweater and leopard shoes. Yes, you've heard that right. I am doing a roar on top and the bottom.:)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Slastena! If I looked like you I would do that, too! I am thinking of the Heather flax, but the caramel would be better I think!

      Delete
  17. I so loved this skirt from afar after seeing GiGi make the cutest combo with the green tippi causing me to hunt it down in another state, even willing to pay the too-high tax rate and shipping (which would have cancelled out any discount), but your pictures make me realize that this skirt was too far outside of my comfort zone. As much as the skirt works for you and GiGi with the too cute combos, i don't think i could have ever made it work on me and would have been really upset to see this too golden-shine skirt sitting in my closet with no where to go! Thank you for the great pix, they were a pocket-saver (now i can wait on the new rollout w/a little more pocket change).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Rashwanda - you are welcome! I can't tell you how many bloggers have saved me money. Of course, there are more that have cost me more, too! :-)

      Delete
  18. I have been contemplating ordering the dress....I would be very shiny and gold! But I love the print and the material. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. It is GOLD! I am glad I liked it in real life, though I think I could have returned it no problem after I chatted with Mickey.

      Delete

Kindness is a virtue...