Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Style Wednesday: Does Buying Items for Fall Mean I Am Now Engaged in the dreaded "Pre-Fall Season"? And my Ruth outfit homage

We didn't do very much shopping whilst we were on our trip.

Mostly, we hit the gift shops of the museums we visited and picked up some things for for our kids.  They each got a bag of goodies, which they were thrilled about; it turns out that when Mum and Dad go away, the kids do just about as well present-wise as when they go along, too!

As you know, I am really working hard at purging my wardrobe so that I am left almost exclusively with clothing that I love, clothing that is comfortable and fits well, and clothing that represents the image that I want to project at this point in my life.

I have also decided that the things that look best on me are simpler on the top and more streamlined, which accommodates both the "girls" and having broader shoulder and narrow hips, and things that have a bit of a luxe feel about them - thank you A Well-Styled Life...  Knowing this is helping me make my choices and has enabled me to move some more things out of my closet.  I am also forcing myself to wear things (weather permitting!) and if I chafe at doing so, it means that they must find a new home elsewhere.

One thing on my list for fall was another pair of Cole Haan penny loafers, this time in a lovely saddle colour. The black patent ones I bought two summers ago have been a mainstay in my fall/winter wardrobe, so I really wanted another pair.  I was delighted to find a pair on sale in a Cole Haan shop during our travels. While in the store, I decided it would be lovely to find a matching purse (or a close facsimile to matching!). The women's purses were all on sale, but what really caught my eye was a very simple cross-body messenger bag in the men's section.  No - it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a larger hobo or satchel, but I love how streamlined it is and it will force me to buy a lovely little insert bag for my lipstick, etc.  The leather feels divine and it is really good quality!

These two items will get a lot of airplay this fall and their simplicity may seem a little dull to some, but are wonderful to me!


Casual, but I can see wearing them with the odd skirt as well..

I did stop into the J Crew store in Portland, Maine as we flew by.  The store was looking SAD.  It kind of reminded me of the morning after a big party: all you are left with is colourful confetti, a bit of a hot mess and you are looking at stuff and thinking "why did that look so great last night?"  Maybe it was me - it was 39C or 100F at the time!

However, as I came around the back, there was a monarch scarf!  I yelled (in my head!) "RUTH!" and immediately grabbed it, as I have always admired her in that scarf (and you know we have gotten to see it in lots of iterations!).  I managed to snag it for $12.  Yup.  $12.  Worth every penny!  :-)  Ruth, this outfit is for you!


However, this photo is not really TTL for colour, the following one better captures the colour:


but you can see that it is a lousy photo...


Oh well - I am feeling all southern hemisphere chic now!  What do you think, Ruth????

When I arrived home, an ebay purchase was waiting for me.  I had ordered the Tory Burch Midori skirt, which arrives, as advertised, new with tags.  What a lovely, classic skirt.  I can see wearing this a lot this fall, with both shoes and boots and I am now stalking the same navy coloured Tory Burch cardigan on ebay, though I will be buying nothing now for the next month.



what do you think?  I am thinking of styling it with a navy v neck or my flax or navy cashmere cardigans, but I would love ideas!

So yes, I am now officially buying for fall, now that the weather is +25... sigh....

And finally, we saw the baby:

The Prince of Cambridge: Here's the First Look! | Prince William

I thought all looked great, but heartfelt kudos to Kate, who proudly showed her post-partum belly (we have all been there but so many starlets hide until theirs are gone now).  Good role-model, Miss Kate!

LAUGHING MATTER photo | Kate Middleton, Prince William

Having said that, i have the same belly 18 years after my last baby.  Hmmm - should I be worried....

Have a great Wednesday and stay safe out there!

46 comments:

  1. Great job on the scarf, Wendy! I have the same one and always wear it with cobolt color from j Crew. That scarf goes well with so many colors.

    I love your saddle colored shoes and bag. That bag looks like a well made one. I've looking at vintage Coach purses on eBay.

    Doesn't Kate look absolutely gorgeous? She gave birth not even 24 hours ago and she walks out looking radiant and simply perfect! I looked like something the cat dragged in 2 days after giving birth. I don't know how she looks so lovely. That baby is going to be so well loved!

    Glad you had a wonderful trip. Barry looks so handsome in all the pictures you took! Handsome and handy...he's definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I looked at Coach while I was travelling, but since I really was looking for this style, decided the Cole Haan was for me. The leather feels like buttah...

      Oh Barry will love the compliment from the other Wendy!

      Delete
  2. BTW-J. Crew has new arrivals on line. What are your thoughts? I found the offerings to be bland and repetitive. Looks like my wallet will be thick this season....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a bag and shoes which are almost identical. They are the lynch pins of my spring summer wardrobe and go with everything.
    I love the skirt, I think the cardigan might be too matchy matchy and mumsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if you have them, I KNOW they will be timeless! okay all - what would you wear with this? no way i want to be mumsy! i am going for exotic in my 50s... hmmm - or not...

      Delete
  4. Oh asked mum if she had seen the baby. She just growled at me and said she can't bear all the fuss about another mouth to feed. Such a romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Wendy I squealed with delight when I saw the title of your post, and I squealed even more when I saw you in the scarf! It looks fabulous on you! I'm so pleased you got it, and for such a good price! Yay!
    Love the tan shoes and bag - they are such great items that will go with everything.
    Ditto the skirt, although I agree with Tabs that a matching cardie may be too matchy.....
    Finally, I adore that pic of the royal baby and parents. It's so natural and lovely; that mixture of utter delight and total 'what the hell do we do now?' Feeling that I remember well from having a new baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ruth! i really was excited to find your scarf! i am going to have to steal all your looks!

      You are going to have to weigh in on what to wear with the skirt then! I do not want to look Mumsy! So far, I have long sleeve navy tshirt and navy vneck. i love the skirt and it is comfortable and beautifully made, but I definitely need some inspiration!!!

      Delete
    2. Always try chambray...tie at the waist. Or tee and jean jacket. Go casual. Three outfits out of it is all you need.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes the simpler the better. Your purchases are very tailored and classic...with whimsy thrown in on the scarf. Kinda agree with Tabs on the matching cardi. Unless you are lookin to wear separately most of the time. I do remember being quite upset after shooting out Tyler and still wear my maternity clothes for weeks after. Do hope the media is kind to Kate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BB - I feel like I am wearing my maternity clothes 18 years later! Nothing never did go quite back to the old place.....

      Delete
    2. You are definitely not in maternity clothes anymore. Although they have gotten a whole lot more stylish than in our day. You look great baby!

      Delete
    3. Oh my god - don't you have a moment when you see those pictures of Princess Diana in her clothes? That's all we had to choose from! I was telling my daughter and she said "those were the dark years of pregnancy..."

      Delete
  7. Love your scores! Something simple & fitted I think for the TB skirt, perhaps a navy Jackie shell, Tipppi or short sleeve cashmere tee. Was happy to see Kate in WMM blue yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't Kate look beautiful???? It is funny - I am purging my winter closet as I am cleaning out and reorganizing this week and did notice an awful lost of blue...

      Delete
  8. Kate was beautiful taking in her new role. I loved the "hand-off" of the little prince and how awkward Will was; brought back memories of my hypercompetant MLane not knowing how to hold his daughter. Such a sweet moment.

    That scarf is a wonderful color for you! You need a hummingbird one,too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I keep looking for hummingbird ones and I have a small silk one, but it really isn't my colours so rarely wear it!

      Delete
    2. That is so sweet, Lane. My husband's cousin just had a baby girl, and while she threw herself at me as soon as I met her, my husband started playing with her feet and caressing her hair as I was holding her, which made me fall even more in love with him if that's even possible. I can only imagine how adorable MLane is with your daughter. These men, they know how to charm us, don't they?

      Delete
    3. I think fathers are especially enamored of their baby daughters. It was no surprise to me that Will wanted a girl and Kate a boy.

      Delete
  9. Oh, like those shoes/bag; I'd like to find oxfords that color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! All they had thus far in the Cole Haan shop I was in was their summer oxfords, which had tinges of neon. Not for me. I will definitely be scoping nice oxfords for the fall!

      Delete
  10. You got the Ruth scarf! Both of you look gorgeous in it!
    I love the loafers you got. So chic. And I love the TB skirt, how about wearing it with "my" polka dot tie neck top? Can't wait to see this skirt on you, plant in the frame and all.
    Both the baby and the couple are adorable. They all look happy! What a great moment for them. It gives me such joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh see - I must have a weird brain - I would never think to wear it with your polka dot top! I would think, well the dots should match the skirt. My God - I am a dullard about this, aren't I? Good inspiration!

      Delete
  11. Wendy,i love your purchases and esp.the "ruth"scarf!
    You did really well with the bag and shoes too:)

    Try the dark rinse keeper chambray with the skirt,i think it would look great.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ina! I should have snagged that one on sale - will watch - all I have is the lighter version!

      Delete
  12. Wendy,
    I am also a Cole Haan fan. I love your loafers and bag. In fact, I like your bag better than many of the ladies bags- less hardware. Great choice! Your TB skirt is divine. I would wear it with a colored sweater or blouse or cami- maybe green. The matching cardi would be cute, but I would add some sparkle or skin- a cami or sequins so it didn't look too proper. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KNityarns - great advice! That is why I was attracted to the bag - i loved that there was no hardware!

      Delete
  13. Hi Wendy, I love the shoes and bag, especially the corner stitching on the flap - lovely detail.

    I had the tv running in the back ground so I caught the moment when they came out with the baby - it was lovely! The whole thing was very touching, especially remembering William's first appearance, both the similarities (polka dot dress) and the differences (Charles in his suit, William in shirt sleeves).




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. weren"t they sweet? Just loved the two of them in the blue - wonder if they had pink also picked out?

      Delete
  14. Love the skirt. Ina's suggestion of a dark rinse chambray to wear with it is great, add your new loafers and bag! Which are excellent by the way!
    I thought Kate and William were just darling and they seemed so relaxed. Loved Kate's dress too, course all I could think was hmmm how will she nurse in that? I was always whipping one out for nursing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the years of checking my nice work jackets for tell tale shoulder spots...

      Delete
    2. My only accessory in those days was a receiving blanket over my shoulder!!

      Delete
    3. I am with you all! I assume she is nursing, but have they said?

      Thanks for the advice Dani!

      Delete
  15. The bag and shoes are really cute! I recently pulled out my first messenger bag I got from Kenneth Cole. It's still looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect that, and my Christopher Kane hobo, to be my go-to bags for fall

      Delete
  16. WMM, you are hilarious. I think a lot of men like that little belly, at least that is what I hear. And after I work so incredibly hard to try and lose mine. I'll never have a wasp waist though, I've accepted that.

    You've picked up some lovelies. I think the new skirt would go well with the navy sweater and the loafers for a casual look reminiscent of the Great Gatsby era. Knit cap and tennis racket optional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. xoxo - you are right - where is Louise when I need her???? I decided that both Dani and GF have the EXACT opposite body types to mine. I have no waist or no bottom. Ah well...

      Delete
  17. Just dropping in to say we all called it, George it is for the Prince of Cambridge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great! Yay for George! When I was pregnant with my son, my daughter wanted to call him Georgie George Manger Goggin. Quite a handle!

      Delete
    2. Do you think the Royals read your blog? You are quite engaging and enchanting, so I wouldn't be surprised ;)

      Delete
  18. i just don't know about all this pre fall business. it seems like shrewd marketing to me. as if we weaklings need more pressure/bait. i don't know what's got into me but lately i want to revert to the way i used to dress before the internet seduced me. it was so much easier back in the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet - I hear you - is ridiculous! The Internet is a bit of a confusing place to me re:fashion, that's for sure.

      I gave two more massive bags of clothing to charity today. Feeling very light. Wish I could have found one of your great thrifty places when I was in us!

      Delete
  19. Little George is so cute! And yes, kudos to Kate for proudly showing her bump and frankly, dealing with all the enormous pressure the last little while. Glad everything turned out well for W & K and that Will nailed the carseat on the first try! Go Wills!

    Great scarf find! I like it!

    ReplyDelete

Kindness is a virtue...