Friday, July 5, 2013

Miller Time Friday - Letting Bud go

Hi all!

I will be only here sporadically for the next two days as we are off to the small village where my dad was born to bury him today.

It will be a lovely day - the weather is supposed to be perfect, we have secured a bagpiper to play once he is in the ground  and then we are having a big family evening at my uncle's.

Best of all, my dad will be back home and he will be with my mom.

The cemetery where they are buried is a lovely old one down a back woods road.  You go up a hill and there it is.  Lots of old, old trees and dappled sunlight.

While we have enjoyed having dad at home with us these past 7 months, it is nice that he is back with my mom.  I know; they aren't really there, but I do imagine they will pop in and around there from time to time since it is such a lovely spot.

It is also nice because it is an opportunity to spend some time with my brother and my uncle and their families.  Tomorrow night we will eat and drink and tell stories, which is just how such a day should always end, isn't it?

In honour of my dad, who went by the name Bud within the family (he had the same name as his dad) this Miller Time Friday will not be fancy at all.  We are going to drink his favourite drink: rum and water.  It has to be Bacardi white rum, 2 oz, another 3 or 4 of water, and an ice cube.  Easy-peasy!

Give him a toast will you?  He will like that!


And while you drink you may want to listen to the Skye Boat song that the piper will play...


Speed bonnie boat like a bird on the wingOnward the sailors cry.Carry the lad that's born to be kingOver the sea to Skye
Loud the wind howlsloud the waves roar
Thunderclaps rend the airBaffled our foesstand by the shoreFollow they will not dare
Speed bonnie boat like a bird on the wingOnward the sailors cry.Carry the lad that's born to be kingOver the sea to Skye
Many's the lad fought on that dayWell the claymore did wieldWhen the night camesilently lainDead on Colloden field
Speed bonnie boat like a bird on the wingOnward the sailors cry.Carry the lad that's born to be kingOver the sea to Skye
Though the waves heavesoft will ye sleepOcean's a royal bedRocked in the deepFlora will keepWatch by your weary head
Speed bonnie boat like a bird on the wingOnward the sailors cry.Carry the lad that's born to be kingOver the sea to Skye
 Bye Bud - I Love you!

Have a great day all and stay safe out there!

56 comments:

  1. Cheers to you, Bud! I lift my beer to a great man :) (hope he won't mind it's beer but I can't drink the hard stuff). His resting place sounds lovely. Enjoy your time with family, remembering your father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cate - he was known to put back the off beer as well!! Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. Cheers to your father! We will most certainly raise a glass in his honour today. His final resting place sounds beautiful. All the best to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will drink one to him (and to you) tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can never listen to that song, it makes me cry. The skirl if the pipes has me in tears too if I'm abroad or feeling emotional, I'm welling up at the thought if your day.
    Here's to your dad, will toast him at cocktail hour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is a sad one, isn't it? My uncle and I were talking about that yesterday - the funeral director wanted to know if any of us wanted to speak and I said no. I gave the eulogy at his funeral, but I figure out there amongst the trees and with the pipes, there will be no relief from emotion - he said when he visited Scotland he cried from one end to the other!

      Delete
    2. Massive throat lump, but have already applied mascara, so no welling bits. Think Bud was good old school and would likely understand the no tear tracks before work fuss.

      Delete
    3. Oh Bud was a baby! Pretended not to be, but was a baby! It is blazing hot here - 32 already!

      Delete
    4. Sunscreen, glasses, water...take care.

      Delete
  5. Here is to your father and wishing your family all the best. Would have had a rum but am in a spa in Austria so will toast to homeopathic drops instead...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH CSW - I hope if it is lovely and decadent! Homeopathic drops! I am SURE Bud would not know what homeopathic drops were!

      Delete
  6. Cheers, Bud, and cheers to you, WMM! I hope you can find peace with your family, and know we are embracing you throughout today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AB - I do indeed know it and it is a very nice feeling!

      Delete
  7. I am sending you good thoughts. Cheers to your loving dad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheers to Bud-- will be a beer at the dock. Lovely you will be near all the trees that he loved.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, and check out David Mallett's song " My Old Man"; DM is a Maine folksinger but his dad was from Nova Scotia.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Lane and A! should be a really nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. THIS BUD'S FOR YOU! WMM, what a bitterweet weekend. But first a sign, just last week I bought Bacardi white (which I never do, being raised in an Appleton household) to make mojitos. But will switch to strong water tomorrow, raise my glass and smile in honour of good dads departed. Next, what a wonderful description of your parents' last stop together. You painted a picture for the clubhouse, can just seem all of you there. Any cemetary, especially for Bud, has to have good trees. I always think of them standing sentinel watch over peoples' spirits in each season. Last, a salute to your true Maritimer soul for always finding the funny, the real and the music, even in the hardest moments. Take it easy letting go, Barry has nice broad shoulders. As that great Scot Sir Walter put it, "With a smile on her lips, and a tear in her eye." Best thoughts to you and all MM family, RIP Bud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I'm with Tabs, love-hate relationship with that song. Think it's "worse" when you know all the words.

      Delete
    2. Oh I know. The song is a sad one...

      Thanks for the good thoughts - Bud definitely needs his trees and my mother is likely sick of hanging out with her in-laws..

      Delete
    3. Yes, that is above and beyond the call of duty solo.

      Delete
  12. We'll definitely be raising a glass to Bud tonight! I hope you're having a wonderful family time. I could cry just thinking about it. May all the good spirits be with you.xo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like your parents have a wonderful resting place. Cheers to your dad, and I'm sending good thoughts to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Best wishes, Wendy, I'll be thinking of you.

    Gosh you look like your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cheers to Bud! My dad's nickname was Buddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww - well maybe our buddies are having a drink in heaven right now!

      Delete
  16. Wishing you and your family all the best, and strength ~ will raise a toast to your dad tonight as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cheers to your Dad and I will be thinking of you this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My best wishes. This post was such a great tribute. Clearly your dad raised a close loving family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I will toast my Friday night cocktail in honor of your dad. I like that he will be with your Mom again. Will be thinking of you and your family. xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope the laying-to-rest went well WMM. It sounds like a beautiful resting place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia - it was beautiful! a warm lovely day and lots of love!

      Delete
  21. Aw, what a tough day for you. I have a glass of wine raised for your father. Must have been a great guy, he raised a beautiful, wonderful, loving, inspiring daughter. Ya made him proud. Not just much but oodles of love baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BB - everyone's kind thoughts really helped me!

      Delete
  22. Sending love and ((hugs)). I couldn't listen to that song all the way thru either. (wah)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know - when the piper started I was quite choked up! The funny thing was I only had tears when I laid the flowers on my mother's grave!

      Delete
  23. I hope that many wonderful memories of your Dad bring you solace this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Here's to Bud (and I'm raising a Canadian beer, I can't drink the hard stuff). Thinking of you this weekend and sending over a big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thinking of you Wendy!

    Its great that your mon and dad are reunited again.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The bagpipes always do me in (whether it's Danny Boy, Amazing Grace, doesn't matter) - very moving. Hope you had a good weekend and cheers to you and to the memories of your parents.

    ReplyDelete

Kindness is a virtue...