Saturday, July 27, 2013

Random Saturday Musings

Hello All,

Lots of things to chat about this morning...

1) Anthony Weiner

I see our dear friend Fred has written a little piece on this unfortunate mayoral candidate.

I am not going to add to the whole thing.  All I personally think is that New Yorkers deserve better than this candidate or candidate Eliot Spitzer for that matter, whose camp had the audacity to accuse Weiner of being a "bad husband" (huh?).  I am unfamiliar with the other candidates, who have yet to have a sex scandal to my knowledge, but by all means, fill me in, folks...In the meantime, we have a potential candidate from Toronto for you that we would love to get rid of...


2) There is a reason I don't cut my hair...

I once had short hair, 21 years ago.  No - I will not share photos, since it is very clear that the shape of my face is not meant to sport short hair.  I will admit it was a bad haircut (shaved up the back - yikes!), but even so, I will never go shorter than my chin ever again.

I have to say that I was heartened to see pictures of Jennifer Aniston with a "do" that was less than flattering for the new movie she is filming.  If she can look so much less attractive, then it only supports my case for keeping hair below my shoulders so that I appear to have a neck...

 Giving her feet a rest: Jennifer slipped on flip flops and carried her high heels as she enjoyed a coffee break

3) and speaking of hair....

There is a cruel thing being done to women of a certain age all over North America, and especially here where I live. When I got to the grocery store later this morning, at least half of the women over 60 will be sporting this abomination...

What is this thing?  Giving older women the bad "Man Haircut".  As opposed to the "Bad Man" haircut..

You know the one:


I don't blame the women - they want short and simple.  I get that.  They aren't sure what to do with their grey hair.  I get that.  But the hairdressers who do this to them ought to have their licenses taken away and be forced to get the same haircut and wear it for the rest of their lives...

Thank God we are seeing more and more elegant older women who are serving as positive role models for how one's hair can look as we age:





Hmmm - they are all blondes....

Phew - thank you Diane von Furstenburg


And has anyone been able to prove that Jaclyn Smith has a portrait in her attic????


Oh, I know she's had work.  But not scary Joan Rivers' kind of work.  She is 68 people!  Those are good genes...

4) Dennis Farina Passed Away

Oh you know who he is - he played half the hard-boiled cops and half the hard-boiled criminals on TV and in the movies over the last couple of decades:


Most of us know him from Law and Order or the movie Get Shorty.  He was a terrific and prolific actor and I am sorry that he died so young (69).  Seems like we are losing a lot of our tough guy actors this year...

5) Pope Francis visits Brazil

Nope - I don't have a long story on this one, either politically or through a religious lens.  All I want to note is that the Pope queued up like everyone else for the Alitalia flight and toted his own carry-on luggage. Very different from his predecessors, I think...

Pope Francis sets off for Brazil

Do you think he went first class? :-)

6) And finally, a picture of how to really wear a hoodie...

I was wearing a hoodie the other day when taking a walk.  It started to rain so of course I put up the hood. I love a hood.  Maybe it's from my early love of Robin Hood?



No matter.  I stumbled upon the image below and felt I should share with you.  THIS is how to wear a hoodie:


They don't make 'em like Grace anymore....

Have a great day everyone and stay safe out there...

28 comments:

  1. Um...did you mean to put the one picture of the ass in there? If not, you have been hacked my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will respond a bit later. I need to get that image out of my head...wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. - you probably didn't see anything that awful in the jungles of Africa!

      Delete
  3. HA! I was definitely hacked! For some reason, I forgot to hit preview this morning - first time this has happened to me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even know blogs could get hacked.
    Jen looks like she's on fertility drugs, she's puffed up and looks really different just now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I snaffled a photo that I obviously shouldn't have as it was booby-trapped (or ass-trapped!) - horrifying for poor BB and I! Thank God she was the one who saw it - I am quite sure our gal BB, she of the wild jungles, can handle ANYTHING!!!!

      She does look puffed up, doesn't she? But having said that, if I put my hair up I lose all semblance of a neck and it is horrifying!

      Delete
    2. Am looking at that black dress picture again - she almost looks pregnant... God - I am starting to get like the National Enquirer...

      Delete
  5. I'm back and fully recovered :) We have a local named Stacey Campfield, look him up. He's an idiot, sponsored the can't say "Gay" in schools, but keeps getting reelected. The ladies you showcased are all good examples of aging gracefully. Have they had some work done? Sure, maybe, definitely...but they still look their age. I'm getting a kick out of the Pope...I worry about him and his safety but I love his love for the people. Have a great week end. We are smoking ribs tonight. Partay!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BB - I owe you a drink after what you saw this morning!!!! I was scrambling to dump the picture and of course, it took longer because I was trying to figure out which one it was!!!

      I like the Pope too - and have decided that if he doesn't worry about his safety, well, he has the big guy or gal on his side...

      I have never smoked any food in my life - sounds yummy!

      Delete
  6. Jennifer Aniston's hair reminds me of Kate Hudson's bad Parisian Makeover 'do in "Le Divorce".

    Wendy, you write with great wit and charm and it is a pleasure to read your blog each day.

    Diane in Ontario

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks Diane - you will be glad you missed my awful hacked photo this morning - BB could assure you it lacked charm.....

      Delete
  7. I know I shouldn't laugh, but I have been laughing at the politicians publicly apologizing for their latest inappropriate behavior. Another day, another egregious act, a new apology, a new recovery plan.

    I think I read that Jennifer Aniston is wearing a wig for that role. I am pretty sure she didn't cut her hair. I decided same as you that I don't like my hair when it is above chin length.

    Glad I missed the earlier photo lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cate - I am with you - it never seems to end!! I am sure that must be a wig! And yes, be glad you missed the photo...

      Delete
  8. Morning Wendy, well, now I'm all curious about what we missed!

    Grace Kelly was so beautiful, wasn't she? I wonder what she would have looked like by now? I'm sure she would have joined your list of ladies ageing gracefully. Those are some lovely role models, especially Helen and Judi with their silver locks. I'm starting to notice some greys and wondering how to transition - my current hairdresser doesn't seem to be keen on the idea, but I love grey/silver hair that is well cut and chic.

    Oh, and I have the tv news on as I write - another mayor in trouble, San Diego this time. What gives?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia - trust me - do NOT be curious!!!

      I am with you on the hair - I do have some silver now, but the colour takes that all away... I am not sure how to transition at all and my hairdresser loves the red on me!! But the transition would be hard I think, as I have a very dark brown under the red and silver.... I need celebrity hairstylist!!

      I think Grace would have continued to age gracefully!

      Got to go take a look at the San Diego mayor!

      Delete
  9. As a New Yorker I am dumbfounded by his audacity but I think he will drop out soon. Unfortunately, I don't find any of the candidates compelling either. I have such a long relationship with my hairdresser that I think I will follow her wherever she goes. I hope she does not move to California any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hairdressers are so important - it took me 3 years to get up the guts to get rid of my old one!!!

      Delete
  10. hi, Wendy, thanks for the mention!

    I've been with the same hairdresser for what seems like forever, it was an ugly few months when she retired but then it turned out retirement wasn't quite all that and she now visits the homes of a short list of former clients. So I have learned that there's a "bad range" of about an inch and a half - if my hair ends above or below that line, I'm ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is so interesting that you have it down to an inch and a half - I am not sure what my level is entirely - but I can tell when I see it!

      Delete
  11. I have to confess, I am still laughing because I thought "that ass" that BB referred to was one of the politicians above. From her lovely blog, I am now used to er sense of humor and it made total sense. He he!
    Ugh, hair. I have a love hate relationship with my hair. As a matter of fact, just yesterday I dreamed I had perfectly coiffed and full curls with no frizz (riiiiiiiight, like that would happen). I like to donate my hair every 2 years to make wigs for children and women who are undergoing chemo, and every time, EVERY TIME, I get butchered. Seriously. I am left with a "mushroom" cut that I have no alternative than to wait to grow out. I just donated again in February, and since I am used to bad haircuts, I only cried once. The day I can find a good hairdresser, I may have to sculpt a statue of their likeness with my bare hands or something. Seriously, I only get 1 haircut every 2 years. Ugh.
    And the Pope, he is really different than his predecessors. Not as committed to (marriage) equality, ironically from the first country to legalize same sex marriage, but humble and genuine, from accounts I have read. Yet again, not my faith but some of his traits are admirable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI AB - that is a sad hair story that ends in a happy hair story for others! Everyone needs a good hair dresser, that is for sure! Mine is a real character and very definite about what she does and doesn't like!

      I hear you on the Pope - am not Catholic either, nor do I agree with all his stances, but I do like that is so humble!

      Delete
  12. I asked my long time hairdresser, shouldn't I be doing something different with my hair now that I am approaching a BIG bday in August. She said, no. So there I have it-- permission to be a long haired,blonde highlighted with some grey streaks old lady. Goody!

    Not Catholic either, but that Pope is a sweet man. Now, fix the woman thing and you have my total support.

    Never seen Law and Order, but that man looks familiar and died much too young.

    It is heartbreakingly beautiful today so off I go; would love me some of those ribs, BB, later on. We don't do ribs right up here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy the beauty Lane - is raining here - hope we don't send it your way!! Any plans for the big day? What day is it? Will get right on that Catholic woman thing!!!

      And you have fabulous hair!

      Delete
  13. My kids (13 &18) roared when they heard the talk on the radio about Weiner. I had to explain the story behind the mention and that made them roar even more. Can you imagine him as mayor of NYC. What would they serve at his inaugural banquet? Stuffed sausage and pigs in a blanket?
    As far as hair goes. I have mostly had at least shoulder length hair since I was 16 except for a moment of madness when I got the Dorothy Hamil wedge. Eeek!

    ReplyDelete
  14. MASH UP Thanks for adding our mayor to the don't list. Did you hear about the Beebs spitting on fans from Yorkville hotel balcony? Have always loved Grace. Appreciate the pope's humility and public speaking if not some of his doctrine. Except for a brief period at 26, had short hair from my teens through my 30s. Contemplating the re. crop for Locks of Love like Anthro Blogger. Mostly motivated by what to do about the first strands of grey (Medusa mop is a lot to colour.) But so afraid of the bad man chop - criminal.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read about the Biebs - I am now completely disgusted with him.

    Good for you re; hair - though you do have a lovely head of hair....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to think of where the tail goes when you get shorn. But I am hesitant how to handle the grow-out while on road so much - minimal time to fuss.

      Two Ontarians ready for export...

      Delete
  16. I'd never seen that shot of Grace before...what grace! I love that classic simplicity! And oh, so much unfortunate politics these days....

    ReplyDelete

Kindness is a virtue...