Tuesday, July 16, 2013

On the Road Again...

well it is day 4 of the trip...

we have had a lovely time so far.  It turns out that once you leave our province, there is a lot of traffic.  This is always a surprise to those of us who live in a place where a busy highway means you must past 3 cars on a four lane highway during a two hour period.

We left home and headed to a small city called Cornwall, Ontario, en route to Toronto.

Cornwell is having some hard times it seems to me.  On Friday night at 5:00, not one store was open in the downtown core.  Not one.  This struck us as very odd.  We walked around looking for a small lovely bistro to have a glass of wine in before dinner, but could not find one.

Does it sound like I am dissing Cornwall?  Well actually, no, I am not.  Cornwall is one of the small north American cities who has fallen on hard times since mills have closed.  But they are fighting back and trying to get their populace back to work as best they can.

And we found one of the loveliest little restaurants with lovingly made, excellent food in Cornwall Ontario.

Outside, it doesn't look like it is housing a jewel box of culinary delights...

But inside a delight...

Their website, http://www.eightzerozero.ca.

Inside the restaurants, the most amazing grapevine tree reaches to the sky..


 Now maybe you have seen one of these before, but I have not.  And while my picture may make it look less than it was, trust me - it was impressive!



Barry enjoyed his local beer and I, my wine..


My dinner was a pasta primavera, topped with a lovely orchid, which was pretty and then yummy...

And so while I think Cornwall has a ways to go before I could strongly recommend it as a tourist destination, I must really recommend this lovely little restaurant and encourage any one in the vicinity to make this their destination for an absolutely tasty and fabulous meal...

I hope you are all being good while I am out of town..  I can't wait to hear how Julie's birthday turned out in the end... stay safe out there!

Tomorrow - a little GetFresh and Elora Ontario!

 

18 comments:

  1. That sounds like heaven ... where a busy highway means you must past 3 cars on a four lane highway during a two hour period. I pass 3 cars going the 2 blocks down my street on my way to work everyday.

    What a delightful restaurant and impressive grapevine. I will be sure to get there if I'm ever in Cornwall. Your dinner looks delish and Barry looks very handsome and relaxed. Continued happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing sometimes where you find good food. Glad to see you haven't killed each other yet. Have fun with GF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we are actually doing quite well. There was one issue of "miscommunication" but he does the best he can! ;-)

      Delete
  3. HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE WMM that tree looks a lovely as you described on Saturday. I am a sucker for twinkle lights. And have put the resto name in my phone as we do periodically pass by Cornwall.

    I do wish we could send some of our crazy traffic to the empty NB four-lane. Maybe that way I would be inspired to visit DBP and several others more often.

    Sad how so many towns on the St. Lawrence Seaway and Great Lakes have fallen on tough times with the changes in industry and globalization. Reminds me of CB iykwim. But determination and community can do a great deal. And your spirit of optimism, as always, shines through.

    Happy travels today, and stay safe my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks and I do hope you get in - the staff (all two of them!) were absolutely lovely!

      I always think that restos like this are often some of the first things that bring back a small town that is having difficulties so I completely salute them!

      Delete
  4. Happy travels, Wendy! Goody hear you're finding good food! Shame about the lack of a wine bar - sounds criminal to me not to have a bistro/bar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking of putting one in my backyard, Ruth! What do you think?

      Delete
    2. Sounds like a stunningly good idea! I would come and visit!!

      Delete
  5. You're going to be in my neighbourhood! You won't have any trouble finding a nice place to eat in Elora ..... sorry it's going to be so stinking hot, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh darn! We were in Elora yesterday (am posting a day after on everything!) - I LOVED Elora! Want to live there when I grow up! If you were out on Sunday downtown we were there around 2:00 and I had a very big hat on!

      Delete
    2. Not to worry .... I was away up north for an extended weekend ... glad Elora was to your liking - that means you'll come back for another visit : ))

      Delete
  6. That restaurant looks lovely and the food yummy. The giant tree is beautiful and would be very special at night. Too bad about the lack of a wine bar/bistro. I guess you could always grab a bottle, a brown bag and sit on the curb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you know me too well! That is EXACTLY what I wanted to do! Unfortunately, the lacrosse team staying at my Shabby Chic Ramada (emphasis on shabby) was already tailgating in the parking lot!

      Delete
    2. Well WMM, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em ;-)

      Delete
  7. I'm amazed at the traffic in S NE where I grew up (CT) when I visit family. Who are these people? By the fourth of July, I'm ready for everyone to go away again here, but it is a resort town and good for business.

    That was a festive looking restaurant. Fun finding a good place. We have one with an upside down dead tree with lights on it now; must be trends in resto design. Hope you're relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Lane - definitely relaxing! the tree thing must be a motif!

      Delete
  8. Hi Wendy, glad the trip is going well. The highways in NB are such a breath of fresh air after the 401! Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures. It's been ages since we had a real road trip (apart from to and fro to Ottawa with student).

    ReplyDelete

Kindness is a virtue...