Tuesday, May 28, 2013

We Bought a Zoo and Madewell Storyteller Scarf Review

Oh it has been one of those interesting days chez WMM.

The sky finally started to clear, but every band of sun was followed by an equally large band of cloud and rain!  The dog and I finally got out for a walk this afternoon and were rained on twice!  But we persevered, since that is the kind of people that we are.  Okay, he isn't a person, but he doesn't know that, so let's not tell him, shall we?

The old place is getting to be rather a menagerie of birds and beasts these days!  I feel a bit like Matt Damon in We Bought a Zoo!

We went from having no hummingbirds to having one and now to having four of them!  Last night was a hard night for Indy as he sat in the window and watched the aerial acrobatics in front of him, which made him quite dizzy I think, as he finally gave up and took a nap.


When you live in the woods, you are always visited by some animal.  Most days, it is simply the squirrels and chipmunks.

This afternoon, we were visited by a Raccoon, who interestingly enough, dug up a couple of bones that Indy had buried beneath my giant fleece flower and proceeded to eat them on the deck.


Indy was unimpressed, especially when the fellow had the cheek to wander around on his deck while I forced Indy to wait inside while i shooed it away...


And then tonight, while starting to write, I could feel eyes staring at me, and it turned out to be this groundhog, who sat looking in the window for several minutes.


It could drive a dog to drink, I tell you!  Here's hoping for no bears on the deck!

It is kind of fun to live in a place where little critters come to visit.  The groundhog above ate half of my italian parsley last summer - I wonder if he would follow instructions better if I spoke to him in Italian?

I thought you might be interested in a little goody that did arrive late last week: the Panamania Storyteller scarf from Madewell.  As you know, I was quite interested in this scarf, since I am in the process of reading David McCullough's book on the building of the Panama Canal, The Path Between the Seas.


So when Fabulous Florida Mommy noted that the scarf was on sale on her wonderful blog, well I had to have it so that I could add it to my David McCullough historical scarf collection!  I am not sure Mr. McCullough knows of this collection, but I do, and that's all that matters!

It is a lovely cotton scarf and it is huge!



This is the scarf laid out on my queen sized bed. It is much bigger than my other scarves by Madewell the ones of New York bridges or of Paris place names

And on:


There are a lot of nice colours to play with here.  I can see it with my red and white dresses, over several of my blazers and with navy as well.  The parrot motif makes it very tropical and if it ever dries up and warms up (though there are rumours of an 80 degree Friday around here), it will be appropos indeed.

But I am a glass half-full gal as you know and if there is one nice thing about the rain, it does make the crab-apple blossoms look lovely:


So that is some of the shenanigans going on here today!  Would love to hear about yours!

Stay Safe Out There!

17 comments:

  1. i swear i thought raccoons were nocturnal? hah! but that groundhog is too cute!
    lovely pattern on the scarf - it will be great for summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura! I thought they were nocturnal, too! Someone needs to tell the raccoon!! The groundhog is quite a sweetie, though he is a digger... I am pleased with the scarf as I think it will be versatile and it is nice and lightweight!

      Delete
  2. I love visiting critters! Used to get a whole bunch when i was living in the country!

    The scarf is lovely. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them, too, though the morning I went out to get the newspaper and was accompanied by the skunk was nerve-wracking...

      Delete
  3. WILD KINGDOM WMM, glad you are continuing to grow scarf collection and menagerie. Yesterday's post gave me wanderlust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are up early working this morning! It gave me wanderlust, too! paying my property tax bill this morning will cure that...

      Delete
    2. Had to make a drop-off trip to airport, DH in TX, and conference starts today so alert any "last-minute" emails. The Panama Canal is a wonder; wish could go back, now am adult, to appreciate. Ouf, tax bills.

      Delete
    3. I would love to see that canal! I was impressed with the Welland Canal! Good luck with the conference - busy days!

      Delete
  4. Late to comment but you looked sassy and smashing with your new glasses. Didn't realize that scarf was a good size. I love their Parisian and City scarves but wished they were bigger. You get some cute and interesting visitors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Marie! I like the size of this scarf a lot more than the parisian - much more versatile I think!

      Delete
  5. I think groundhogs are so cute. Raccoons, not so much.
    The scarf is excellent, such a nice large size and perfect with your chic white shirt.
    I hope it stops pouring on you and Indy today. We've had four days of sun and now the rain is back, I'm glad, the garden needs it. Did the sun come your way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the sun is here! I had to cover the tomatoes last night as there was a bit of frost but everyone has survived! I am off to pay property tax and run errands to to pick up a few more annuals for pots on my deck and for my front window box. I can't wait to get outside today!

      Delete
  6. Sending the good weather to you today! Was gorgeous yesterday after the deluge. Wonderful scarf find! Big gardening today. Had an herb salad for dinner last night-- some kale, mint, cilantro, and arugula, all from the garden with a bit of sherry vinegar and olive oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kale is not going at all - may have to resow sadly! Tonight we will have sorrel salad, which i love, but some of the rest, not so much! The sun arrived and once I am done the errands will be out for the duration today! The weeds are atrocious!

      Delete
  7. Critters are fine as long as they don't invade my personal space. Your groundhog and raccoon are too close for my liking. Now there is something new for Mickey and Jenna to try, groundhogs or raccoons on clothing. I wouldn't buy it, but that's never stopped them before :) The rain continues here as well. I am contemplating a walk in the rain today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cate - I am sending them a picture right now! They didn't do well with the hummingbird print, which was more a where's the hummer print?

      Delete
  8. The scarf is beautiful on you. I love the palindrome on the border.

    Raccoons, ick. Cute as they are, they can be very nasty so be careful not to encourage them. Once they have set their territory it is difficult to relocate them.

    ReplyDelete

Kindness is a virtue...