Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Style Wednesday - those little hidden gems in your closet OR are you really THAT forgetful, Wendy?

Sigh...

Have I mentioned that I am SO not a detail person?  Have I mentioned that I sometimes get distracted and forget things?

Well if I have not mentioned that, I ought to have.

Cause I found something in my closet this week.  Something, which while not exactly like the neutral skirt I am looking for, is a close enough approximation to make me uncomfortable when I found it at the back of the closet...

Oh you remember my neutral skirt desire, the one that had me and poor GetFresh searching the web randomly for THE skirt?

You know, like the one in M's Polyvore set:

"cashmere, flutterfall" by shopwithm on Polyvore


Which had me lusting after this look from pinterest:

pleated midi skirt

And this one:

the tulle sheer skirt

Can I be the only one who wants a tulle skirt?  Is 50 too old for tulle?  For God's sake, say no, I am just the RIGHT age, because I am THISCLOSETO to buying a tulle skirt...

But I digress (just know that we will soon be coming back to the tulle skirt on some other day...).  So I was in the backroom cleaning out a closet and I find this lovely golden silk skirt from Nougat London, bought 3 summers ago, that I forgot I had.

don't you hate how they hang skirts at the cleaners?
It has a grosgrain ribbon tie in the back:


In my defense, it IS a bit tight, there is a small water stain on the bottom and it was jammed into the back of the closet, but if tinkered with, it can be worn.  So I sent it off to the cleaners, who spruced it up and have put together this outfit, a la Miss M, along with a few other ideas.  What do you think?  And am I the only one who misplaces clothing?  I honestly do NOT have a huge wardrobe - I think I thought I had given this away at some point... That is my story and I am sticking to it...

nougat london skirt (old) nine west nude pumps, gold clutch from winners, jcrew tissue tee

and changing out the shoes:

donald pliner platinum flats (old)


and bag and sandals:

Mr. Seymour sandals (old) and BR shell clutch from 2012

Maybe adding my new herringbone schoolboy blazer and some pearls?


Would love any other styling ideas besides this neutral look!

So while it is not exactly like what I am looking for, will suck it up with some spanx until the real thing comes along!  And please, no one tell GetFresh.  Because pretty soon she is going to need to help me find a tulle skirt....

So happiest of Wednesdays and stay safe out there!

28 comments:

  1. You had me laughing out loud, Wendy! I love the outfits you put together, and I love that you magically find cute things in your closet. Can you come find some new cute stuff in mine? I love everything in there, but overall, I think I own about 4 dozen pieces. How am I going to fill that huge closet in my husband's imaginary dream house? ;)
    Oh, and for styling suggestions, I say maybe a floral and a jean jacket? (Actually, not to enable, but that jcrew polka dot linen tee would look great!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well I am pretty sure that is the last "magical" item I will find! I wish I had more!! I probably own more than you, but that would include winter items. I really like the idea of the jean jacket to tone it down. Not familiar with the polka dot tee - will have to take a look!

      Delete
  2. I had a good snort, too!
    I occasionally finds shoes under the bed that I'd forgotten!
    I think that skirt would look fab with a bright blue top, or even a rose/coral colour.
    You are exactly the correct age for a tulle skirt!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a bright blue top and a coral one, so will give them both a try! thanks!

      Delete
  3. I once bought the identical item (unplanned duplicate) and forgot I had it already. It was not similar, it was the exact same thing.

    Love every one of your planned outfits with that pretty skirt! And agree you are exactly the correct age for a tulle skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is embarassing - but something I would do. My sister once gave me the same salamander pin two years in a row!

      Delete
    2. Tiffany--I have done this too. In my borderline obsessive quest to acquire Jackie cardigans (we all collect something, I guess), I bought a color I already had hanging in my closet. That was an embarrassing return...

      Delete
  4. LOST & FOUND Wendy, that's so funny in a good way or serendipitous? If these outfits get a whirl, maybe more incentive that a tulle skirt is meant to be part of your collection.
    Other than my multiply-by-selves striped tees, The List inventory is what keeps me from duplicates or almosts, that and very limited closet space, not keeping things in bins etc. Riffing off of Anthro Blogger's denim jacket and floral top suggestion, chambray hues might work, or a simple black top, depending on skirt's nude tone, ditto a spring-summer hued cardi, or a softer/ linen tee in a mint, heathered grey etc. in case any of those are lurking behind closed doors.

    Happy hump day lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have I mentioned that I SO am a details person? ;-)

      Delete
    2. GF! I know - I am starting the list today! I was shocked to find this! So I am going back and starting the list and getting myself all organized! Like your ideas! I think it is so funny we have become friends - you do love your details and I am always surprised that there ARE details!

      Delete
    3. Opposites attract, hah! Someone once said it far better than I will here, James maybe? But basically that it's good to have compatriots that essentially appreciate the same things but look at them in very different ways. Ta-dah your club.

      Delete
    4. Yay for our lists, GF. You do have to consult them though, sometimes I don't...

      Delete
  5. Oh that happens to me all the time, specially striped t-shirts and button-downs. Since we're on the subject of stripes, how about pairing the skirt with a t-shirt with beige stripes, something casual with a statement skirt a la Jenna? It reminds me of the striped shirt and green sequined skirt she wore when she opened the Toronto store. I loved that look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Marie - I am going to have to look up that picture! That reminds me - I have the La Dolce sequin skirt - I must dig that out and wear it a few times this summer! I like the idea of stripes!

      Delete
    2. Apparently, I need someone to loan me a blinged-out skirt so I can evening rota all my striped tees, including exact one Jenna was sporting in the T-Dot.

      I always think about dropping sequins (like Gretel), making more than heel noise when walking, or crunching when I sit. Can you see why don't own one?

      Delete
    3. I think it would be marvelous to drop sequins! When I wear my lula sequin ballet flats I always love a couple of glittery bits and I love it! It's like I'm a little fairy or something!

      Delete
  6. Hooray for shopping the closet! I've had that happen too Wendy, don't worry. :) I think my favorite is the one with the sandals and BR clutch! I feel like I might have to pull out this outfit today just for you! It's finally warm enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe you don't wear it everyday! :-) I think I would bore everyone by wearing it constantly!

      Delete
  7. Lovely Wendy. But, If it is too tight, have the tailor extend the waist, or just move on to the lovely tulle skirt. It will stay in the closet if it doesn't fit. Never too old, you are not planning on wearing it with a Disney Princess tiara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dammit, knityarns, how did you know that was exactly how I planned to wear it...

      Delete
  8. Once, I bought a top, forgetting that I already had said top. It was an older J.Crew item that I really wanted. Oops. So, now I have two! Probably a good thing since we all know how durable J.Crew clothing is...

    I love your skirt find! I seem to find something forgotten every time I switch my closet from winter to spring and back again. Really curbs my desire to shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I am not the only one, but it really was a bit embarassing....

      Delete
  9. Out of sight out of mind! Remember the time I bought a new puffer coat and then I found 3 in a box in the basement?
    That is a very pretty skirt. This is reminding me of a silk chiffon pleated skirt in a cream colour that I have. Love that tulle skirt you have pictured, it's the perfect length!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot the puffy coat episode. I feel better already..

      Delete
    2. That's hilarious Dani!

      I think the skirt is beautiful, it looks like a short version of my long silvery one that I bought two years - I hope our weather changes soon, I've had enough of my pea coat, I want to burn it now.

      Delete
    3. OMG - you are still in your pea coat! Yikes! It must be even worse after the visit to Italy!

      Delete
    4. I was in a wool overcoat yesterday and today it is 78 and sunny, Tabs there's hope maybe even for Scotland.

      Delete
    5. It is freezing here today, so I can relate!

      Delete

Kindness is a virtue...