Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Oklahoma

One of my favourite movies and stage plays of all time is Rogers and Hammerstein's Oklahoma.  The images of stunning plains, the can-do pioneer spirit of settlers and cowboys, the corn as "high as an elephant's eye" made it an intoxicating mix for me.

Today, Oklahoma is a scene of destruction and sadness after a F4 tornado touched down yesterday.  An elementary school was directly in the path of the tornado, and the most recent count indicates that of the 51 confirmed deaths thus far, 20 are children.

\A nurse walks by the destruction at a Moore hospital on May 20.

Tornadoes are thankfully uncommon where I live.  They are all too common in Oklahoma, which is a part of the U.S.'s Tornado Alley.  This two mile wide (!) tornado was on the ground for an unthinkable 40 minutes, cutting a swath of destruction for 22 miles.

I cannot imagine the terror that one feels when a storm like that is bearing down on you.  I also can't imagine what it is like after you survive such a disaster to hear in the weather forecast that more storms are coming.

My heart goes out to the victims of this storm and to the people of Oklahoma, who are left with the Herculean task of rebuilding.  Is it just me, or are these storms getting bigger and bigger?  Could we not start the discussion about global warming NOW?

Sorry for the sad topic today.  I just couldn't go light after this much destruction.  Please stay safe out there.






14 comments:

  1. WMM, I can't believe this was the same city, region that was previously devastated and rebuilt in 1999. I remember being in an airport that day and lots of people gathering around the TV screens, versus just the flight monitors.

    Have seen hurricane and fire devastation, but I can't even imagine the terror of a tornado. You are right about the climate change debate getting beyond circling conversations. Thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just hearing water lines broke and those school children drowning in their school emergency drill, how awful.

      Delete
    2. I just heard that as well! It is absolutely unthinkable. And I was going to complain about the rain... puts it all in perspective...

      Delete
    3. I know, humbling. My bumpy day yesterday nothing.

      Delete
  2. To lose everything in a few minutes is truly mind boggling. It is apparently true that these are bigger and more frequent than in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is starting to feel a bit like those doomsday movies that scare the bejesus out of me!

      Delete
  3. Terribly sad with awful devastation. That photo is frightening

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is frightening, isn't it? i see hey have revised the death count downwards, which is a blessing, but still any death is a tragedy..

      Delete
  4. Hi WMM, I agree, it's just awful - I can't imagine what that is like, losing everything in one fell swoop. I don't blame you for taking a day off so to speak. As you say, time for a little perspective for all of us ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem wrong to chat about clothes and food and such when you see that when you get up! But back to the frivolities tomorrow!

      Delete
  5. This is just so, so tragic. Natural disasters are truly terrifying. I feel so grateful to be alive and healthy, with a home and a family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I learned how to spell Oklahoma by singing that song in my head and it will always be a special place in my heart as I lived there for 2.5 years before I turned a teen. To think I was just there on a business trip the week before last. The kindest people I've ever met were in Oklahoma. Prayers and help to all those devasted and gratitude for all that we have.

    ReplyDelete

Kindness is a virtue...