Saturday, May 11, 2013

Random Saturday Musings

Where to begin?  So much to talk about!

1) the fate of the skirt

Ah the wedding cake skirt.  There were fans, and then there were folks who thought it was just okay.


Yesterday, the skirt was returned, along with the sandals.  In the end, it wasn't the hem that was the final deal-breaker.  I went back and asked myself the critical three questions: 1) do I love it? (yes) 2) was it flattering (I guess) 3) was it the image I want to project (no - in the end I thought it was too sweet for where I am heading - I know, an odd explanation from someone who just bought fancy pants!)  Thanks so much for the input!  As you know, I am on a budget and it just didn't make sense to keep it.

2) Iron Man 3 

Dear daughter and I went yesterday.  This is your proto-type summer blockbuster movie, but Robert Downey Jr. elevates the genre with his witty asides and the fact that we know that he knows that he is having a blast making a super hero movie makes it feel more interactive.  The film acknowledges last summer's Avengers movie in a smart way and if you go - stay through the 5 minutes of credits for the bonus scene at the end.


3)  Prince Harry takes Capitol Hill

Oh what is it about a bad boy?  Sure, Will will have the crown and has a lovely wife and soon-to-be-lovely baby.  Harry prefers more "exotic" experiences at this point in his life and who can blame him, him being so darn cute and all.

This week he showed up on capitol hill, and wowed them, starting first with the first lady:


Oh sure, he impressed the military families he met along the way, but it is was the female political staffers on the hill, that were as big a part of the story as Harry himself.  Armed with cellphones, and desperately trying to quell the need to scream "Harry!" over and over again a la the Beatles storming America in the early 1960s, each secretly wished he would turn their way and decide that marrying an American was just the ticket!


The one thing I know for sure: the pencil skirt is alive and well in America.  And I am pretty sure that Harry is single for another day.

4) Is There Life on Mars?

Bowie asked this question best, but it turns out that yes, there will be life on Mars soon enough.  I am slow getting to this story, but it has intrigued me since I first heard about it.


The Netherlands-based nonprofit Mars One is planning to fly teams of four astronauts to the Red Planet, with the first landing slated to occur in 2023, exactly 10 years from today (April 22), to establish a human settlement on our planetary neighbor.   

Gee, sounds exciting huh?

Except this is a one-way ticket only folks.  At this point, they haven't figure out how to get you home again.

Successful applicants will have intelligence, resourcefulness, courage, determination and skill, as well as psychological stability, said Mars One ambassador Gerard 't Hooft, a Nobel Prize-winning theoretical physicist.

Successful candidates will face 7 years of grueling training that will hopefully prepare them for all of the situations they will face and will also provide insight into whether or not they are really suited to live the rest of their lives in space.

This has caused quite a bit of dinner conversation Chez Moi.  My husband and daughter are firmly in the Star Trek camp on this - i.e. to boldly go where no one has gone before - while I am firmly in the "oh my god, even the thought of this makes me claustrophobic and depressed" camp.  Leaving behind my trees and the the ocean and all of my friends and family would make me weep.  So I will pass on the application.  I wondered whether they would get a lot of applicants, but apparently there are over 10,000 folks who have already emailed to get more background information.  What do I know?  What do you think of this endeavour?  I guess it had to happen sometime...

5) The unlikeliest of heroes

You all know the Cleveland story.  The road back for the three women and the little girl held in captivity will be long and arduous and they are in my prayers.  But the man who helped save them, Charles Ramsey, has become a bit of a folk hero, not only for the deed itself, but for his colourful retelling of it all afterwards.  If ever a man was meant to be interviewed by scores of media outlets, it was this guy.  If you like Charles, buy the tshirt (all proceeds are apparently to go to a fund to help the three women rebuild their lives)


 The Charles Ramsey tshirt. On sale tomorrow. All proceeds benefit the three young women. — with Shetoya BeautifulBlack Stewart, Ginny Firestone Wells, Kenneth Hill and Chrissy Lc Smith.


This story has been a mixture of horror, the will to live, heroics (mostly on Amanda Berry's part) and while we cried with happiness about the women finding their way home, I couldn't help but wonder what horrors lurk in the hearts of some that would want to enslave someone.  I have never been able to understand this, from the first time I read about slavery as a young child, to this past week.  There is so much good in the world, but there is some real evil, too.

but let's end with something happy, shall we?

6) When people really know you

I went to one of my first goodbye events this past week.  This one was very special; it is the branch I was director of for 7 years.  They took me to dinner, said nice things and gave me a lovely necklace and a plant.  But my favourite present was very personal to me on many levels.  The Wizard of Oz is my favourite movie - these folks knew this.  They also know that if I ever had a work family in my life, they were it.  This little plaque will have pride of place for years to come, not just because the sentiment is so good, but because of the people it represents:

Product View

There, now isn't that a nice sentiment to start your day with?

Have a wonderful Saturday and stay safe out there!






25 comments:

  1. What a perfect gift from your co-workers. Too bad about the skirt but the pants more than make up for it.
    I can't imagine wanting to go to Mars. I don't think this mission will be successful and if it is, no way in 10 years time.
    And Prince Harry, what a rascal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I am getting very picky in my more limited budget so if it doesn't scream "I love it!" then it isn't for me! Will be interesting re; Mars - I see a rescue mission in their future if it actually happens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WMM, as you transition to a new career, have you thought of becoming an executive coach? I love reading about your relationships with co-workers. Just putting it out there. I would pay for your time and experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon - to be honest, it never even occurred to me! Thanks for the faith in me! Not sure I would be great at it, but sure is something to think about!

      Delete
  4. Goodbye pretty skirt! I think mine is going back too sigh! This dreary, rainy weather will make it easier to return. I am not inspired by anything clothing-wise right now, and have just returned a bunch of things from the 30% off promo that I didn't love enough to keep.

    I have no wish to go to Mars or explore the unknown. I like the known Earth, thankyouverymuch! :) 10,000 inquiries for applications, though, that is interesting for something that sounds like certain and imminent death :/

    Likewise I will admire Prince Harry from afar, while wearing something other than a pencil skirt!

    Love your Oz plaque, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a sad return, Cate! I continue to be brutal - if I go to put something on and it take it right off because i don't love the way it looks - well, back it goes!! We could have worn our skirts to meet Harry!

      Delete
    2. We will let the single girls have him, then.

      Delete
  5. I always get a kick out of Prince Harry, he wears his heart on his sleeve and although he sometimes gets into trouble and doesn't follow 'protocol', he's authentic and he's going to live out his life. I think he & Prince William have done quite well considering the sh*tshow that went on during their childhood and adolescence! I'll always remember when he snuck a peek at Kate coming down the aisle at the Royal Wedding and he couldn't resist teasing William "here she comes now!" (or whatever he said) when William couldn't turn around to look at her.

    I'll never understand why someone would want to enslave another. It's a scary reminder that some things are happening right under our noses and things aren't what they seem from the outside. And if your gut is trying to tell you something isn't right, listen to it and act on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI LR! I am a Harry fan of the highest order! For women my age, who are basically the same age as Diana would be, I always sort of felt like they were all of our boys after Diana died. He is one cheeky monkey and I love that about him!

      Delete
  6. Didn't get a chance to comment yesterday about the pants. Obviously I'm biased because of my great love for fancy pants and some that you have encouraged me to buy (brown silky dot, pompom cafe capri). They are gorgeous and the fact that you've already made 10 outfits with them makes them a keeper for sure. I think these could also transition to fall well with the rusty brown tones and even be sparkled up for the holiday season. I think in the long run they are a much better investment than the skirt as you could only wear it in the heat of summer when you want to flit around with the butterflies in the grass all the while minding the grass stain since it is dry clean only. Now that the plant is out of the way, I can see it really is a fine length on you. Perhaps it will be waiting for you on deep sale later in the season if you regret sending it back. As for the other news, Harry is growing on me more now since Wils is taken,I need to see iron man 1&2 first, no desire to go to mars as the shopping would be dismal and that despicable captor needs to be tied up and left to rot in his own basement. Lastly I love the Oz plaque from your thoughtful coworkers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even thought - no more online shopping! And blog would become duller "Hi folks, woke up to red sky again today. had oatmeal."!!!

      Delete
  7. It continues to amaze me how many people blithely believe the 13th Amendment doesn't apply to what they want to do in their selfish perverted lives.

    Anyway, I just read that there's going to be a J.Crew pop-up in London for a few days in May, to prime the pump for the opening of the big store. I guess Mars is next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fred, I figure Sir. Richard will work with Mickey to get stuff to all the galaxies soon enough!

      Delete
    2. Would give new relevance to the Copywriter From Space!

      Delete
  8. Cleveland- unimaginable. I only hope that those women are returning to supportive environments. The skirt is pretty, but certainly not a whim at that price. You made a better choice with those lovely timeless pants. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks knityarns - agree - but was a wee bit sad to wave bye-bye to the skirt!

      Delete
  9. So true, I love Harry, Wills is like a boring accountant from Dagenham.

    I loved that skirt but know what you mean about sweetness - it doesn't really work at our age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we may have entered the salty/siren phase - i keep telling myself that! Now I just need a leather bustier for the fancy pants!!!!

      Delete
  10. Hi Wendy, I think you made the right choice about the skirt - the pants would definitely get a lot more use seeing as they go with so many things in your wardrobe.

    I was horrified by the events in Cleveland. It reminded me of that man in Austria, a few years back, who imprisoned his daughter in a makeshift dungeon in the basement of his apartment building. I hope those women will be able to heal and carry on with their lives.

    No wish to live on Mars - it would be horribly lonely and boring!

    Hope your Saturday is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Between the skirt and the capris, you made the right choice. You were rocking those pants yesterday, it's a great neutral that goes with so many things. Love both Will and Harry but would choose Harry if stranded on an island. We would probably starve but at least die laughing (and he has more hair, no)? Shallow me. Love planet earth with so many places left to explore. If I have my own foundation, I would hire you to be in the Board. I can see you charm people to open up their wallets and put the funds to good use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! Marie - i am pretty sure that my charm is mostly to open up my own wallet...

      Delete
  12. I'm backing you on the choice for fancy pants for sure, it ain't even a close competition. That pic with all the staffers in pencil skirts is hilarious ... oh to land a prince. I think the most startling thing about our Cleveland hero is his desire to give, right away he says I have a job so give the money to them. What an amazing attitude!

    Have a beautiful Sunday and happy mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My girls have my blessing to marry Harry, should the opportunity present.

    I don't think you'll miss the skirt and another one will soon appear you'll hit 3/3 on your scale.

    ReplyDelete

Kindness is a virtue...