Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Tuesday Book Love: Le Road Trip

So there I was, in the bookstore, and they had a table filled with books for Francophiles.  It was quite lovely and I was quite besotted.  I am a sucker for these theme book displays.  The London table, timed to coincide with the Olympics, nearly broke me.

My first purchase:

The letters between Julia Child and Avis DeVoto.  Dani has mentioned this book, so I jumped on it when I saw it and am enjoying it immensely!  It is funny how discussions about kitchen utensils can be so riveting to read about!

As Always, Julia: The Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto

I think that this friendship was one of the original "accidental penpals" that turned into a great and abiding kinship and as such, reminded me of blog friendships that are cropping up.  You can buy yours here and if you love to cook and eat or write letters, you will love it!

Next to it on the table was Le Road Trip:

Le Road Trip: A Traveler's Journal of Love and France

Oh my goodness, I book of paintings and stories about a woman in middle age who marries and has her honeymoon in Paris and Normandy.  I HAVE been to Paris and Normandy!  I had to have it!!!  Onto the pile!

This book did not disappoint.  Each chapter tells a little story and jumps back and forth between Vivian's first trip to France and later visits, including the honeymoon.  Vivian Swift is witty and wonderfully talented and her spirit simply sings from the pages!



This book is wonderful.  Mr. WMM is reading it right now and loving it - the combination of stories, beautiful drawings and paintings make this an irrestistable read and so enjoyable.  She apparently has another, equally, wonderful book which is going on my Christmas list - I am already drooling, imagining Christmas Day, curled up in my jammies reading another book by this wonderful author!  I am not sure Mr. WMM reads this blog regularly (despire his loyal membership!) but never fear, I will send him a link and you can get yours for this lovely book here.


Source: The Author's fun blog here

Even better, Vivian has her own Blog!  I am slightly shy, but I think I am going to send her a fan letter this week - her book has given me so much joy!  You can visit her blog here.

Dreaming of Paris or France?  This is a lovely book to get you in the mood!

Happy Tuesday!

16 comments:

  1. I just took a delightfully diverting side trip to the world of Vivian Swift, thanks to you! Can't wait to get the book, and I hope she will inspire me to get out some pen and paints, too....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I am going to get organized to do a little drawing and painting this weekend. You will LOVE this book!

      Delete
  2. I am dreaming about paris!
    My husbsnd surprised me with a weekend in paris to celebrate our wedding anniversary.
    Since it is only 4-5 hours by car we are leaving this saturday very early to be there when the shops open.
    Since you just went there, could you tell me where the kitchen store is you visited.
    Or any other recommendations?
    We wont be doing any museums,just shopping and eating!
    I might also pick my anniversary present at the hermes store(H bracelet).Have you been there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SWEET SOUVENIR Congratulations Ina. In addition to the kitchen store from WMM's great post, I would recommend one of the nine Laduree macaron shops (there's also an outpost in the Printemps department store). Nowadays they do chocolate and fragrances in addition to the iconic meringues, Fauchon on the right bank for gourmet "visiting" or, although it will be packed on a weekend, Le Grand Epicerie at Le Bon Marche, department store again. EnJOY your drive, weekend, present!

      Delete
    2. Ina E Deherillan has an excellent website with address - is near the Opera. I realized how good the prices are when i looked at Williams Sonoma site - paris pots were half the price!

      Delete
    3. Ina, the original Hermes at 24 Faubourg is open straight through on Saturdays, yay! Depending on where else you are visiting and dining, you might also want to check out their newest store, on the Right Bank at 17 rue de Sevres. It has more "home wares" than the flagship and is built inside a former 1935 swimming bath. If the FSH main store is crazy busy, I would also suggest the smaller George V location, less tourist-y. (15-20 min. walk away from FSH, is uphill, but great view of Arc de Triomphe, or the take the Metro.)

      Delete
    4. Ina you must be so excited! I'm going to miss you in Paris but I'll be stopping into Hermes as well. I hope you have a lovely time.

      Delete
    5. Oh you will have fun! I did not have time to get to Hermes - cannot wait until I can! I always think of these "misses" as simply excused to return!

      Delete
  3. BOOK CLUB WMM, since you enjoyed Julia and Avis, I would also recommend JC's "My Life in France" with her nephew Alex Prudhomme, circa 2005. The memoir includes some wonderful family photos and keepsakes, including her Valentine's with Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh i have read and loved this!!! If others have not - they must - it is divine!!b

      Delete
  4. Ps: Ina, so excited for you! I dream of Paris regularly now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just ordered that book, I hope it arrives by the weekend, that will get me primed for my trip next week. Thanks so much for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOu will love it! I thought of you often when I read it!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the recommendations WMM - I love books about or featuring Paris and France. Another cute book is 'The Little Paris Kitchen' by Rachel Khoo, based on her BBC tv show of the same name. You can view it on Youtube - she's adorable and there are plenty of shots of her neighbourhood and local shops and markets. Here's the first episode:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuQ5TzyLzMk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia - this is going on my list! I love books about Paris as well - especially with illustrations!!! Or recipes....

      Delete

Kindness is a virtue...