Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Inspiration


Given that I am up to my armpits in a complete rewrite of my first book this month (yay for constructive feedback!) I have been thinking about the things that inspire us to do our best (whatever that thing is we are trying to do).

Here are some of the things that are inspiring me these days (and no, this is NOT a definitive list nor is it entirely serious!)

Reading:

I read every kind of thing a person can read, from newspapers and magazines to fiction and nonfiction, including books for both children and adults. 

Best quote I've read all week and wish I had written it myself:

Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
Mark Twain

Don't you wish you'd written that?  Thought so!


My office talismans

I surround myself with mementos and quotes and inspiring pictures, all in the never-ending quest to jog something - anything - from my addled brain. 

I am never showing another picture of my office again after seeing Janet's lovely post on being neat and no knickknacks.  Cause I have knickknacks and paddy-whacks (someone give Indy a bone!) up the ying yang!

I do have a little holy trinity in here with me now:



My little Charles Dickens, who reminds me that you can write wonderful things that are popular, too, and Miss Virginia Woolf, who reminds me to choose my words carefully and write from my heart...

And Noddy...




...who reminds me of his creator, Enid Blyton, whose Adventure series made me want to write some adventure books myself.


Cookbooks

I am obsessed by the Little Paris Kitchen cookbook Barry gave me for Christmas!  Honey-lavender chicken, hmmmmm.....




decorating magazines

In January I like to curl up with some decorating magazines, full of gorgeous and inspiring photos, and though I am unlikely to adhere to many (or any!) trends, they are a nice diversion from reading or writing. 

 

pinterest

hmmmm - pictures....



my family and friends

Thank god for coffee and dinner with friends and good conversation and kind words and facebook jokes!




meditating and yoga

20 minutes each a day.  I'm getting my "Om" on....




I think it is making me more relaxed and creative, but that could be, as we like to say in this house, the Placido Domingo effect....

writing in my journal

I write all the time, but I hadn't written in a journal for a long time.  Now I have a regular journal and a gratitude journal (don't ask me why because you will embarrass me because I don't know why!)

Floral Cloth Journal


I am so glad I am writing down the other stuff now, will be a grand laugh for my great-grandchildren someday...


the night sky

There is a lot of bad things going on weather-wise right now.  I like to lay in bed in the morning and admire the stars and remind myself that today is another day....



So on a lovely Thursday, those are some of the things that are making me wake up with a spring in my steps on these dark nights in the Northern Hemisphere.  How about you?  Any good inspirations these days?


 

26 comments:

  1. Okay, I thought and thought. Nope, nothing real inspiring here. Trying to find joy in the ordinary and accepting of all...no judgements. Maybe my pups are inspiring me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think pups are always inspiring! and Hunter is good for some inspiration I would think!

      Delete
  2. I'm going to be giving that cookbook a try too as I'm resolved to live more like a Parisian this year. And while I too like the idea of spare, my inner magpie likes a little clutter.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen! one of my long-term goals is to have enough funds to rent a house in France some spring! wouldn't that be amazing? I am like you; too much of a magpie - I think completely clean surfaces are lovely, but I could never live like that myself; I need to see my things around me! and I love assemblages of old things!

      Delete
  3. Re: office talismans...I used to have a Tiki doll at my old job. I called him Worky Tiki. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel Khoo is awesome! I love her videos on Youtube and have tried a few of her recipes. I can't believe she cooks gourmet meals in her teeny Parisian kitchen (and hosted people at her apartment to try out the recipes too)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am off to go look her up on youtube!

      Delete
    2. I think the videos were posted by BBC, but you should be able to find them, the clips aren't very long, maybe 5 mins at most!

      Delete
  5. I find all the blogs I read very inspiring - especially Janet. My home is nothing like hers, but I do aspire to something similar some day. For me, my meditation is reading Janet's and Hostess's blogs - they make me feel so serene!

    Much as I love my magazines, I've decided to drop my subscriptions for a while, and try not to buy any at the shops, at least until after we have moved in the summer. It's hard to de-clutter when you keep adding magazines piles everywhere!

    Good luck with your rewrite Wendy!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Patricia! I think I have one subscription these days as I hear you on clutter! I buy the odd one on my ipad, which is clutter free! love our janet too - she is the best!

      Delete
  6. Same as Patricia I do find inspiration is the blogs I read. For magazines, I do love Country Living and Simple Things discovered recently... Very soothing... Brings calm every time I read it. I DO love cookbooks and have to control myself severely when going into a bookshop. I received one for Xmas and bought another one just after! If you love French cooking, you should give a try to the Ladurée Books (Salé and Sucré). They're just like jewel and the recipes are very impressive.
    Wishing you all the best for this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not heard of simple things - will have to keep an eye out! I will definitely look for those cookbooks thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  7. Wendy, the Noddy loving high achiever - it's things like this that make you so intricate and fun and fascinating! Inspiring, hmm really basic things like an immaculate tidy house, I can't do anything unless everything is in its place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I like to straighten, but immaculate makes me nervous! what does that say about the two of us?

      Delete
  8. Love mark twain. There needs to be a revival of him of sorts. Need talismans in my home. But yes pinning is relaxing and more relaxing than Instagram!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naomi - agree about Mark Twain - shall we resurrect him?

      Delete
  9. Last year my friend got me started on writing what went good in each day and putting it in a jar. When I feel tired and down, I read them. These help bring out the smile and gratitude back into my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fabulous idea! I think that gratitude has totally changed my life! I am frigging grateful about pretty much everything (well that is a bit of a wendy exaggeration, but you get my point!) it really does make a difference to one's mental health!

      Delete
  10. Placido Domingo-hahahaha! I think there is benefit.

    Have you heard of the Three Things exercise in which you write down 3 positive things that you had a role in bringing about? As good as Prozac. Counteracts the negative like gratitude does.

    I try not to have too many things around, but we do have rocks from everywhere. I have a few Shaker things that I find inspiring, the workmanship is so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pick up rocks everywhere as well. Wonder if that is an earth sign thing?

      Delete
  11. Clutter drives me crazy and like Tabitha,i like to have my things in place:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is a personality thing too around decorating, isn't it - you love clean modern lines and clutter would impact that!

      Delete
  12. I'm inspired coming to your blog - because you have finished a book - and now revising it. and I'm stuck stuck in the messy middle and can't see my way out. Like you Im constantly looking for little sssnippets to get me going, i have been getting them from my tutor who says things like: when you're heading for Hawaii, the plane is not always pointed straight there. Also like : be yourself everyone else is taken, Oscar. Reminds that just because someone else has written something great or enviable does not mean there is not room for my nonsense

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Jody - it is hard, isn't it? I am afraid to revisit my YA novel that I wrote in January. But never mind, we have stories to tell, and yours must involve rats and New Zealand!

    ReplyDelete

Kindness is a virtue...