Tuesday, December 9, 2014

A Merry Update

Long Time No Chat, and yet, so much to tell!


First:  My bloody laptop has been acting up, which is something you don't want to have happen when you are writing a book.  I think (!) all is well now.  We will see!
Last Friday night, a bunch of us hit a BeeGees/Abba Tribute concert.  I could tell you how much I adore the BeeGees, how they have a special place in my heart, how Maurice and Robin are forever missed, as are white suits, but my words would be pale imitations of the feelings I express on the dance floor.

Yes, I was Ah-Ah-Ah-Ah Stayin' Alive!  This the grade 9 in me coming out and I have no shame whatsoever about it!


 
 
Moving on...
 
Don't you hate it when you spend money on things you get no visual benefit from?  We recently had a leak in our roof.  The leak caused problems with the insulation over the kitchen.  The repairs cost about $1500.  I believe they put insulation up there, I mean, they brought in a long hose and men wore suits that looked remarkably like the sperm in Woody Allen's movie Sleeper, but one can never be sure, especially me, as I refuse to look in that attic.
 
 
 
 
It's kind of like when we spent $10,000 to redo our septic field.  The only people who found it rewarding was ourselves; everyone else just sort of assumes people can flush the toilet...
 
We have begun our Christmas decorating!  The tree went up last night, and for the first time in many years, I added tinsel.  A tinsel-less tree is considered more tasteful I know, more au natural, as are fairy lights and matching balls.  But my Christmas is not really tasteful in any way except that I am a loving person, so what the hell, I tinselled up!
 
A smaller tree than usual due to its new home; I actually left maybe a hundred ornaments off.
Really, I should be living larger!
By the way - the tree has a dowager's hump.  Is that good luck?
 


 

The homemade ones make me smile!
 

Paddington, bought by yours truly when she was16.
Am I going to the movie when it opens?  Does a bear...
 

Tweedledee and Tweedledum.  Bought in Oxford, England in '08.
Don't you love buying ornaments when you travel?
 

Dobby from Harry Potter
Just because. 
There is quite an assortment of different ones like this
as the kids get a new ornament every season
 
 
I also decorated my newly painted chandelier and I tell you, these decorations are never coming down!
 


 
 
I am late planting my paper whites.  Thank goodness a friend brought me an Amaryllis a couple of weeks ago and it is gorgeous!

It is always 5:18 here.  That makes it cocktail hour, right?
 
I am draping myself appropriately in sparkle.  The silver sweater below is a $35 treat from H&M.  I Love it!
 





Oh... Sparkle....
 
Are you doing any baking yet?  My daughter made these chocolate crinkles, the recipe for which can be found in the December issue of Cooks Illustrated, a magazine my good friend Martine has introduced me to.  I recommend changing the espresso powder to decaf coffee.  Just sayin'... Last time she made them I was up two nights in a room.  What?  I was supposed to eat 3 at a go?  Huh!
 

Crackling goodness....



 
 
Did I mention I made pork belly a couple of months ago?  Likely not, because it was wretched.  So different than what I ate at Chateau Lake Louise... sigh....
 
To end this post on a happy note, I leave you with one of our new favourite ornaments, made by my daughter last Christmas (she is 22 mind you):
 
 
 
Merry Christmas Gary Busey!
If you don't know who Gary is, by all means do a YouTube search.
We love Gary and all his gloriousness here chez Wendy's!

 
More to come lovelies....
 
xoxo wendy


39 comments:

  1. Nothing smells more Christmassy to me than a real live Christmas tree and I often go out of my way to walk by the Christmas tree lot to take in all those yuletide vapors. With the tinsel, chandelier, and the Gary Busey ornament those cocktails at 5:18 will be extra festive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a forester's daughter, it would be a high crime to buy fake! We need to sell all those wonderful Christmas trees we grow here in NB! I think Gary will get better looking as the night proceeds!

      Delete
  2. I suck at Xmas. I'm not bah hambug but I did hang a red bauble in the house to get in the spirit. My PC is not working but I can't be bothered to get a new one... Good to know you are so busy. Picking illustrations for the book I hope?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naomi - my dream is a Christmas in London! Perhaps we should do a Holiday - style swap some year! Barry will wake up next to you and I will vomit Christmas all over your house!

      No illustrations - she still has to find a willing editor! On the other hand my YA fantasy just decided it wanted to become a trilogy. Oh my - I don't know how to do that!

      Delete
  3. You have been busy. We are in the final phases of some home improvements in our living room and only the menorah is on display. I think this weekend the tree will get trimmed - but first new draperies must be hung :)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie! This is so funny! I have this little Antique dreidl on my desk. I can't tell if it's ivory or bone - my grandmother was an antique dealer and picked it up somewhere. Can't tell if the numbers on the side are written or wood-burned on. I quite like it. I should take a picture and it's yours if you'd like it!

      Delete
  4. We just started with decorating this year. Late, because it was hard to work up the spirit. The kids won't be home this year, which feels odd. No baking either because I'm still a gluten and dairy free zone. Sometimes life isn't fair. But I have lost 10 pounds:)
    PS- tinsel rocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer - no kids at home scares me! Can you go there! I think I would be pathetic! That would be when I would travel I guess! But then, you have just done that, you luck thing! And 10 pounds! That's me after Christmas - I need to find my chin - I put it somewhere...

      Delete
  5. I'm trying to figure out how to get Dani's woodland creatures into my Christmas decor pronto. Love the Busey! I just found out today that dear daughter only likes the presents and baked goods at Christmas. Went to Pier One and she got the heebie geebies from all the tackiness I love. Looks like coal and reindeer poop for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can work woodland creatures in no problems. I love the tackiness too - perhaps we are separated at birth????

      Delete
  6. Lovely update! You and your home are looking swell. I had that same paddington as a kid. I had forgotten all about him so thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved your tunic today! I (bad wendy) actually went and looked at it and thank god my size was sold out! It is gorgeous!

      Delete
  7. Hi! We've missed you! What a lovely tree, it looks right at home in Chez Wendy, with tinsel and all. I love Gary Busey's teeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary Busey's teeth are a work of art! I'm surprised Warhol didn't paint them!

      Delete
  8. looks like you've been busy. we have a lot in common right now except for the pork belly.:)

    it's just that busy time of year. you sound v happy! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say throw tinsel on that tree! I think it's like fairy dust. The Gary Bussey banter made me laugh out loud. And in my world 5:18 is always the perfect time for a cocktail. Cheers!

      Delete
    2. Janet - I was pretty sure the pork belly would throw you off as well....levbacon - 5:18 it is!

      Delete
  9. I laughed out loud at this one! Love your decorations and the tinsel! Hope that laptop does not let you down again.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb - so far, so good! a weird screen thing but all is merry and bright...

      Delete
  10. wendy....i am waiting oon your review of the j crew gold pants....did you like/love or dislike them........C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh darn! I do like them - though there are issues! Pictures forthcoming - promise!

      Delete
  11. I love Cook's Ill and all its progeny, print and media - and I love Christopher Kimball's deranged mind.

    I have trouble putting up a tree when there are no kids home. When they were very little, we hung tissue paper angels from the stairwell, made little scenes on the shelves...

    I tried on the JC bouclé topcoat today. Funny experience - first, the fabric isn't a bouclé. It has dropped shoulders and a very boxy cut. And when I put it on I loved it! Went home without the coat, v. puzzled - just figured it out. It felt like wearing your date's jacket on a chilly night. I just may treat myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a Chris Kimball story from the 90's-- I thought he was the waiter! I forbid myself from buying that mag as I keep them all.

      Delete
    2. Fred - treat away I say! lane - _ hear you on keeping too many! I threw out 8 garbage-bags-full of stuff from my office. I'm not complaining or crowing, just acknowledging that I could so easily slide into having my own reality TV show!

      Delete
  12. Hey, my dad was at the concert too! Did you see him? :) I would love it too!

    I have never had tinsel on my own tree but grew up with great shiny gobs of it. I'm starting' to think its time has come around again! Your tree is lovely and enormous! Like!
    I have a very tall elegant slender tree this year- not sure if I should try and keep it classy... (usually go all out with the kitsch!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet I did see him!!!! A tall elegant tree - very Downton!

      Delete
  13. I just love all of your decorations, Wendy! We put our tree and other Christmas decorations up the Monday after Thanksgiving. I really love this time of year, and how extra 'homey' all the Christmas decor makes the whole house feel. I have not done any Christmas baking as of yet, but will be making Gooey Chocolate Butter Cake either today or tomorrow to take to the Christmas Program at the school where Jake takes his Biology class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too, Melissa! And then come January 6th I love to take it all down and have things very clean! that cake sounds amazing!

      Delete
  14. Love your tree, tinsel and all. Haven't had tinsel since I was a kid. That S has a sense of humor, putting old Busey on an ornament. Perhaps she should start a series...

    We cut a smaller tree, too, as we are not having a big party this year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We tinsel then we don't then we do. It's the sparkle that is sometimes needed.
    Now if it would just stop raining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary - did you see the sun? It poked out for a minute!

      Delete
  16. I had been thinking of you as I was decorating my house for Christmas. I remembered how you enjoy the season and all the photos you shared of your festive home. I was hoping you were not too busy this year to get your Christmas on! Looks like all is well and Mrs. Fezziwig is once again spreading her good cheer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teacups - I do love to throw it all out there, so decorating was definitely in order!

      Delete
  17. My tree is not up and I am not sure I will be able to have it this coming weekend! I also don't really think I will be able to take a day off to do may traditional baking, yet I did bake a bunch of traditional Xmas "Bredeles" for a friend of mine who was hosting a charity sale.
    I feel so much behind this year, I am not sure how it did happen... I am not panicking yet, but I am not sure how long I will be able to keep it this way...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have that moment and then it comes together. In your defense, you are so busy, I am just here writing...

      Delete
  18. Lovely décor, Ms. W! Although I can't get over the fact that your daughter is 22....when did that happen??

    ReplyDelete

Kindness is a virtue...