Saturday, June 6, 2015

Everlane Loafers Review - Patent Maple


As promised, a little more information on the Everlane Loafers.  I bought these a couple of months ago.  I had a nice credit from Everlane due to a SNAFU on their part regarding an order I made over a year ago, and these loafers have sat in my shopping bag for months.  Literally.

I loved them, but I was terrified to buy them.

What tipped the scales for me in the end was that Everlane allows Canadians to return items with only a $5 surcharge.  I have paid way more over the years to return things to J Crew, and I have to say, I was impressed that they charge so little. 

I also had a long email exchange with one of Everlane's lovely staff people, trying to determine what the correct size would be as patent loafers are considerably stiffer than plain leather.

I had contemplated going up a 1/2 size, from the 6H to 7.  In the end, the staff person convinced me to go with my usual size and they were right.

My point of comparison is an old pair of black patent Cole Haan loafers that I have practically worn to death.


 
 
 
As you can see above, the Cole Haans are wider, but that is probably because they are now 5 years old!  They have a square toe box, which I think makes them a wee more comfy than the Everlane loafers, but honestly only a wee bit. 
 
The fact is, my toes stop at about the same place on both shoes.  my left foot, which is about 6 3/4 (ack!) is definitely more pinched than the right shoe, which feels as comfortable as my right shoe on the cole haans. 
 
My sense is that order up a half size might make them too loose at the heel, which is a regular problem for me - I tend to "walk out of" shoes.  I have worn these about 5 times, and I feel they are loosening up slightly, so I suspect by fall, when I am wearing them with light socks, they will be as comfy as the cole haans.
 
What they have in spades is looks.  They are so pretty!
 
 






 
 
I plan to buy a navy pair sometime in the next year, having expended all of my summer wardrobe $ on my recent gold skirt purchase, but I really recommend these loafers!  As the images on their website and other blogs show, they can be styled multiple ways:
 
 
 
 
 
Source
 
 
 
 
Hope this helps some of you who have been wondering whether or not these were worth getting!
xoxo Wendy
 
 

14 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy,
    Loved your last few posts. The shoes caught my eye in your post on paring down your style. They are fabulous and multi -seasonal. And the skirt is sublime. I stretch my shoes by wearing them with heavy socks while I I am working at the computer.
    However, I never wear my patent shoes to drive. I have scuffed too many heels on my flat shoes that way. I keep a pair of flip flops or old Uggs around in my car.
    Hope the weather is conducive to your gardening this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy, thanks so much for doing this. I do think it's quite brave to order shoes online. I have a pair of those Cole Haan loafers, but in the ordinary leather. I bought an 8 in store; they were a little snug, but I was walking out of the 8 1/2. However, when I got them home they seems SO much tighter! (And I had bought them at the end of a long day.) I wore them a few times, but they did hurt my heels. Finally, this spring, I got around to trying out that old method of putting them in the freezer with ziploc bags of water in the toebox - worked like a charm! I don't, however, suppose that it would work for patent? Anyway, I hope that the Everlanes loosen up for you because they are very chic indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really helpful. I have a narrow heel too so loafers and flats are always a tricky fit. Glad you're enjoying your loafers-they're tres chic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, one more thing to try. For patent I first try heating inside of toe box with hair dryer then putting them on while warm. Wear, wear, wear inside. Try three times over three days. If that doesn't work, go for lotion inside and wear, wear, wear inside until you just can't take it anymore. I wouldn't normally suggest lotion unless it is between that and tossing/giving them away. Love the navy ones just afraid on size 9 feet they would look like clown shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have and love these but just to confuse things more, I went up a half size and that was the right call for me. I stuck to my usual size in the black and had to have them professionally stretched. So then I went up a half size in the patent and they were instantly comfortable. This is such a handsome shoe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the review. That colour is gorgeous. I can see you getting lots of wear from them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh i love everlane. they have the best policies with returns/exchanges. i adore those loafers. if mine would ever wear out those are the ones i'd get. good to know how they fit you. i've read some reviews that said they were pretty uncomfy so thanks for your review wendy. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh i love everlane. they have the best policies with returns/exchanges. i adore those loafers. if mine would ever wear out those are the ones i'd get. good to know how they fit you. i've read some reviews that said they were pretty uncomfy so thanks for your review wendy. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! I even love the name. But sadly they would be too narrow at the toe for me,,,so sad

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are they cushioned at all? I would love the navy ones, in a 9, but with heel issues I have to have support. The maple is a classy color!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow these are lovely. They would be a great addition to the wardrobe. I have never had Everyone and I have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete

Kindness is a virtue...