Saturday, November 14, 2015

Paris



We can never understands the minds of those who can so mercilessly and so easily take the lives of others.

We can only respond with love and empathy and hope for better days ahead.

Paris is the city of my heart. I love it unabashedly and I love the people who live there. Parisians are often accused of being rude or cold or unsentimental. They are none of those things.

The images of last night - the terror, the anguish, the unstinting heroics, the sports fans leaving the stadium spontaneously singing Le Marseillaise - are etched in my soul today.

Many of the locations were mere blocks from where Barry and I stayed in September. We walked those neighbourhoods and adored them. We will do so again. And like my friends and other favourite city, New York City, Parisians will not be bested.

But today they can use our prayers. As can those who commit these acts of atrocities. Peace on Earth.



Je suis Parisienne.

15 comments:

  1. What an unimaginable, awful, evening. I am speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their acts are horrific, I hope whatever God they believe in destroys them eternally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how much Paris means to you two, and it is a symbol for the rest of us. Our friends' young daughter who saved for and arranged her trip there-- who had never even flown before-- came home safely on Friday morning before all this happened. Stand with all the good people of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, i'm glad this world has people with your big heart but Parisisians actually can be rude sentimental, and cold but they deserve our strongest support now and i'll not pray for those perpetrators but rather hope they be systematically killed in any fashion possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is truly a complicated issue and I agree that they must be held to account for these atrocities.

      Delete
  5. Wendy, i'm glad this world has people with your big heart but Parisisians actually can be rude sentimental, and cold but they deserve our strongest support now and i'll not pray for those perpetrators but rather hope they be systematically killed in any fashion possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely tribute, Wendy. I can't wrap my minds around this either. None of it. I have lovely memories of Paris & hope to return in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wendy, Beautiful post. I am sure this is even more shocking for you personally as you just returned from your trip there. I agree there isn't any way to heal from this except to band together with humankind in the name of love and peace. I do think Parisians are wonderful and I have had the experience of their kindness and help when I stayed there when my kids were small. I hope to get back and walk those neighborhoods too again. Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My experience with Parisians has always been so wonderful. I find it easier to love all, even the perpetrators. Of course, I want to see them punished, but it is a very complex issue!

      Delete
  8. Well said, Wendy.

    I'm so grateful I live in an area where (for the most part) people do not blame a whole race of people for the sins and horrors of a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS, somehow i have dropped off your mailing list - must re subscribe

      Delete

Kindness is a virtue...