Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Those Marketing Families who get me every time...


Tis that time of year again.

You know: the one where the big corporations develop compelling marketing campaigns that make us want to buy their products.

Doesn't everyone want to be more beautiful, look more ravishing, dress the best, and have meaningful family moments all at the same time? I know I do! :-)

The kind of marketing I am most vulnerable to this time of year is marketing that portrays happy families. I grew up in a relatively happy family, and my parents gave good Christmas, but we didn't live in that big old farmhouse surrounded by horses and dozens of cousins (although I did get to visit such a world when I visited my friend Nancy!).

The first time I remember being "gotten" by the marketers was those Folgers coffee ads. You know the one - Peter the son sneaking into the house and surprising his family at Christmas, making the coffee...

I am particularly susceptible to it this year thanks to my son being away at University.

 


Damn, that makes me teary just looking at the still!

But this year, Lands End has been able to push all of my buttons. Have you seen their catalogues?

That beautiful extended family, home to see Grandma and Grandpa, who are the new kind of Grandma and Grandpa: hot!





Ah the beauty! The joy! Thumb through the catalogue and you will find yourself yearning to be invited to the fake grandparent's house (Look - it's Barry and Wendy, in from Canada!) If Canadians succeed at sentimental hockey and Tim Hortons advertising, then Americans own Thanksgiving and Christmas - or at least their marketers do.

You all know I love Christmas. Always will. I do find myself in that weird in-between season of life - grown-up children, no grandchildren, which makes Christmas fun, but perhaps not as magical as it was when my kids were younger. And this week is the anniversary of both of my parents' deaths (convenient of them in some ways, cruel in others) that makes me think of happy families and cozy Christmases.

So hats off to you Lands End. I have discovered I need a fire engine red cashmere pullover and tartan scarf. I need to make twice as many desserts as we can possibly eat. I need to make my son make me coffee as soon as he arrives home in December.

And we say we are immune to marketing...

How about you? Any advertising attracting you these days?

17 comments:

  1. Every winter I feel compelled to get one of those big ass sweaters with the turtleneck. My neck is sensitive and will break out in a rash, my boobs are huge so these cuts make me look like one big boob...yet I will order one, try it on, send it back, and promise myself not to fall for these next year. It's a tradition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha-- how 'bout a red one this year?

      Delete
    2. too funny! I have up turtlenecks several years ago and don't miss them. Perhaps if I had no boobs and a swan-like neck...

      Delete
  2. Annual vision oh self pouring hot chocolate, wearing graceful long skirt - generally velvet & paisley - with lace-trimmed Irish linen blouse. Nothing spills, nothing gets stained. Contrast this with the reality of Christmas morning, where I'm refereeing the bird vs oven match, pushing hot boiled potatoes through ricer for immortal mashed potatoes, roasting tiny onions .. OOD is old sleepy-tee accessorized with vinyl apron, oven mitts, rubber flip-flops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fred - I love you! I thought I was the only one who barely dressed for Christmas Day. Whenever I read of other bloggers in the finery I want to hang my head in shame!

      Delete
    2. Not at all, Wendy, I rather think we're in the majority!

      Delete
  3. I am still a sucker for the holidays. It is hard not to buy into the Folgers or Norman Rockwell versions. Reality seldom matches those visions. At your stage, there is a lot of anticipation in having the kids all back home together. I have definitely entered the next stage with grandbaby number four arriving before Christmas! I am really enjoying these times through their eyes. Although today I brought the eldest to the mall for her patent leather party shoes and I had to keep detouring so that she wouldn't see Santa was there already! I must admit while shopping for a shower gift earlier this week I stopped into William Sonoma and Pottery Barn. I had to convince myself that I really didn't need some of those lovely holiday platters that need to be stored 364 days a year'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for grandbaby number four! I cannot wait (well I can, but you know!) for young babies in my again. I have two whole rolling bins full of my Christmas dishes which are an absolute nightmare to drag out every December. I have a crawl space so it require acrobatics and a strong back! Williams Sonoma - sigh....

      Delete
  4. The new hot grandparents; yes, they are at Bean's too. So funny. I am great aunt to 6-7 littles we see on holidays and sometimes in summer, so we are still FREE. I do very very little holiday shopping at this point, leaving lots of time for events and parties. Village lighting, annual carol sing at a neighbor's, dock party etc.

    I do have 10% off at Bean's today though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks for the tip! There was something in my shopping cart there I was waiting to buy so it is now winging its way to be under the tree for someone!

      Delete
  5. I loved this post :) I loved the Lands End catalog too, for all the reasons you listed. I've been getting annoyed with how fast the holiday season goes, and I want to decorate early, but with Thanksgiving (U.S.) houseguests I never can. Then December zips by so fast. Maybe this year I will do what I want and if someone doesn't like it, too bad! :) We cut a live tree, so I can't do that too soon, but I can do the rest.

    I don't strive for the same look as the catalogs, but just for the feel of them using what I have to decorate, which like you, I think, is lots of my mom's Christmas Santas etc. I know I don't have the time to make the special table or special menus etc, but I try to do other less time-intensive little things. I love this time of year and I wish I could clear the calendar of all non-Christmas obligations. Hugs to you - I know it's hard without a beloved parent, let alone two like you have lost. Let them be with you in spirit, I know they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cate, my daughter started playing Christmas music on the 1st. My mantra now is live and let live. Our Thanksgiving is October, so really, once we are past Remembrance Day (which is today) we are good to go. I won't likely put decorations up till the last week of November, but I do hate to be rushed, for like you I find you don't get to enjoy it as much! Thanks for the kind words. They are both definitely here today!

      Delete
  6. It's the Budweiser commercials with the horses in the snow that get me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god, I forgot those - they are amazing! And coke always has some good ones!

      Delete
  7. I love how the Brooks Brothers multi-generational catalog spreads always pair the distinguished silver fox in his 60s with a female model who is obviously only 35 but happens to have prematurely gray hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh haven't checked Brooks Brothers - off to see. So far, the Lands Ends Grandpa is the hottest, IMO! :-)

      Delete
  8. Wendy! This cracked me up. Isn't this so true and especially about the hot grandpa? We can only hope.. Lol. I do fall for everything in Land's End and other catalogs and fall asleep reading them sometimes. Terrible when I should be reading a novel or something. It's a tough time of year and I am missing my mom too. She's gone for the first time and it's not an ideal family holiday. My heart goes out to you too as you must have your parents on your mind now. xo Kim

    ReplyDelete

Kindness is a virtue...