Saturday, July 18, 2015

Faded Beauty


It always seemed to me that the herbaceous peony is the very epitome of June. Larger than any rose, it has something of the cabbage rose's voluminous quality; and when it finally drops from the vase, it sheds its petticoats with a bump on the table, all in an intact heap, much as a rose will suddenly fall, making us look up from our book or conversation, to notice for one moment the death of what had  still appeared to be a living beauty.

Vita Sackville-West


We are at the end of our peony season here.  They bloomed late and were frankly not quite up to part thanks to an abundance of rain in June, but no matter; they are beloved when they bloom.

Much as I love them in their glory, I admit to a fondness for them in their spectacular decline; they are the Miss Havishams of my garden and a wonderful reminder that not all that is beautiful in this world need be shiny and new.  I leave them about until the last petal has fallen.









We seek to copy nature in how we dress, how we decorate our homes, and this seems especially true with respect to peonies.  It is all about pale layers of gossamer thin silks and cottons, all trying to recreate the divinity that is a peony.

There is something soothing about piles of linens at the end of a day (all sources Pinterest)





And we love to dress like flowers for bed or for our big day:







And who can blame us? I for one would love to be able to go back in time and deck myself out like my favourite flower...

Am I the only one that keeps their flowers past their prime? Do tell!

I am learning all kinds of technical things that I will be sharing soon - and such is my Saturday!  Hope you all have a wonderful weekend. Stay safe out there!
xoxo wendy

11 comments:

  1. The texture of that last dress is petals, so pale. Yes right now there is dying bouquet of steel blue sea holly, dusty pink foxglove, chartreuse dill blossoms and garlic scapes dusting the table with pollen and fallen florets. Eventual destination is the compost heap, but until then I enjoy the stages. Peonies are as brief as lilacs.

    Tall ships, clam festival, art opening and weeding, lots to do today! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, just glorious, the peonies and the petticoats! Like you I'm a hanger-on 'til the last petal drops. My peonies are long gone but a joy while they last.
    Waiting for your book news with excitement - and envy! (:-) -X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's up in your garden now? I am always so envious as your season is so much longer than ours!

      Delete
  3. Tulips are allowed to droop and sigh in my house...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I trim and move and re water til the last call. We have the fresh ones such a short time it is hard to let any flowers go until they are fully wilted. No peonies in our yard but from the looks of these pastel beauties it may be time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peonies would thrive where you are Mary! Lots of sunlight and crisp air!

      Delete
  5. Blogging is the new poetry. I find it wonderful and amazing in many ways.

    ReplyDelete

Kindness is a virtue...